Do people use glass tops?

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
I've dug through quite a few threads on the forum but I'm not seeing any glass used for tortoise enclosures. I've seen acrylic but then some people say acrylic has it's own challenges (with the heating lamp). I'm trying to find how to make a suitable lid for my Sulcata's set-up. I've never used glass with building anything so I'm looking for idea's. Our partial plastic (literally clear plastic tarp stuff) covering isn't cutting it (not holding in enough humidity and heat... I'd like to crank it up a few %/*) and I want something more sturdy and permanent.

What can you suggest or link me to for ideas?? I thought I saw one on here a long time ago that I can't find now.

Thanks

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I personally don't recall anyone using glass. But maybe someone does??

A clear plastic tarp should work just fine as long as it covers the top completely, not just partially.

I use clear wrapping paper on one chamber and aluminum foil on another. I keep high humidity constantly. The thin materials work just fine...the trick is to have it fully sealed.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
My grandpa used a large 19th century Victorian Wardian case, glass and iron frame - much to my grandmother's complete horror - to raise 4 California desert tortoises babies for their first few years. He found them in 1952 while shooting desert flower pictures. He had 2 lamps underneath, with different wattages, for warmth and about 4 inches of composted soil thrown in from his farm. Everyone thought he was cuckoo clock for doing this. The case is still in our family and quite valuable, the 4 tortoises are still with us also, and they are priceless. : )

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I personally like plexiglass. Yes, it can be difficult to cut holes for the lights, put once that is figured out, it works beautifully. Just my opinion [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
shutupandsign said:
I've dug through quite a few threads on the forum but I'm not seeing any glass used for tortoise enclosures. I've seen acrylic but then some people say acrylic has it's own challenges (with the heating lamp). I'm trying to find how to make a suitable lid for my Sulcata's set-up. I've never used glass with building anything so I'm looking for idea's. Our partial plastic (literally clear plastic tarp stuff) covering isn't cutting it (not holding in enough humidity and heat... I'd like to crank it up a few %/*) and I want something more sturdy and permanent.

What can you suggest or link me to for ideas?? I thought I saw one on here a long time ago that I can't find now.

Thanks

I use glass. See attachment. I have added more hides and rocks since i took that picture. Lights are a 160w mvb and a long tube repti glo 2.0 hidden behide the wood frame. Tops are glass ikea doors with aluminum frames.

Attachments

• 20131020_134321.jpg
    20131020_134321.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 105

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
gtc said:
shutupandsign said:

Thanks

I use glass. See attachment. I have added more hides and rocks since i took that picture. Lights are a 160w mvb and a long tube repti glo 2.0 hidden behide the wood frame. Tops are glass ikea doors with aluminum frames.

Great habitat !

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
Hi Team Gomberg,
I'd cover the full thing but I'm worried the heat lamp and UV may melt or not mesh well with the plastic.
Also, what about air flow??
Thanks,
H

Team Gomberg said:
I personally don't recall anyone using glass. But maybe someone does??

A clear plastic tarp should work just fine as long as it covers the top completely, not just partially.

I use clear wrapping paper on one chamber and aluminum foil on another. I keep high humidity constantly. The thin materials work just fine...the trick is to have it fully sealed.

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
That's a great idea!! However, I am pretty sure our tort table would be too big.
PS Your Grandpa sounds like an awesome guy!!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
My grandpa used a large 19th century Victorian Wardian case, glass and iron frame - much to my grandmother's complete horror - to raise 4 California desert tortoises babies for their first few years. He found them in 1952 while shooting desert flower pictures. He had 2 lamps underneath, with different wattages, for warmth and about 4 inches of composted soil thrown in from his farm. Everyone thought he was cuckoo clock for doing this. The case is still in our family and quite valuable, the 4 tortoises are still with us also, and they are priceless. : )

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
AZtortMom - I don't know a lot about plexiglass, Do you know where to buy a sheet of plexi??

AZtortMom said:
I personally like plexiglass. Yes, it can be difficult to cut holes for the lights, put once that is figured out, it works beautifully. Just my opinion [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

GTC
That's a great idea!! Actually, that makes me wonder if old windows would work just as well? You don't have a problem with humidity ??
[/quote]

[/quote]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why can't you just build a wooden box like on top of a fish tank . It can hold your lights and wiring so you get good looks and function.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
shutupandsign said:
AZtortMom - I don't know a lot about plexiglass, Do you know where to buy a sheet of plexi??

AZtortMom said:

GTC
That's a great idea!! Actually, that makes me wonder if old windows would work just as well? You don't have a problem with humidity ??

[/quote]
[/quote]

We use a special order place in Phoenix. We are ordering a new piece for our new enclosure this week

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
shutupandsign said:

AZtortMom said:

GTC

Thanks :) I am very happy with it. About the humidity: I have a young greek so my humidity should be about 50 to max 70%. With the glass ikea doors I cover about 2/3rds of the top. It is enough to water the spider plants 2 times a week to kept the humidity at that level. Before I added the glass top cover I used to spray down my enclosure daily and would still get only about 30% humidity. If you have a tort that requires even more humidity you should cover even more of the top. If you want it to look really nice you can take your glass cover to someone that can cut holes in the glass for your lights.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't use a glass cover because in my house things fall down and break.

Plants fall off the shelf above the habitat- fall, or jump or are pushed- and the pots & saucers break. The watering can falls out of my hand. The cat plays hockey.

So it's a practical decision on my part that plexiglass is safer. I don't want to be in a position where I worry about broken glass in the habitat, have to dump all the substrate, continue to worry, and slice myself.

If objects falling from above isn't an issue, and the weight of the glass isn't a problem, go for it.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Do people use glass tops?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

I find your family stories amazing and fascinating!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I would never use glass, for the simple reason of breakage. Good forbid it breaks, you'll have to completely change out everything, and will likely have a traumatized tortoise for a few days!

I use plexiglass with holes cut out for the lights. Sometimes the lights are above the holes, sometimes below (depends on the season) but it hasn't been a concern with melting it anything. The holes are big enough to allow 1-2" clearance around the dome lights.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I am redoing my entire enclosure as we speak. The back wall and one side in clear plexi and the other side and the top are opaque plastic sheeting. There are a few places where there are some holes but they are not in a position where the heat or moisture would escape. I am going to place a small fan driven heater inside and place a shallow water tray in front of it to increase moisture. I will let eveyone know how it turns out. But to answer the question, I have not seen many people use glass. I would not want to use anything but the strongest tempered glass myself. Broken glass can ruin a tortoises day real fast!

Also, why do you have to cut a hole? Can't you make the top high enough to have the lights all inside the table? That's what I did. I will try and post pictures tonight.