Glass vs. Clear bins

Jenblalock003

Hi All

Question, so I'm trying to find an alternative instead of buying another expensive glass tank (I have 2 already) and my 2 sulcatas have outgrown them. I'm going to leave the smaller in the bigger tank and by two giant plastic tubs for the other so he has more room to venture. My question is...the tort I'm moving into the plastic tub seems to enjoy looking out of his glass tank. I'm wondering if I were to buy clear tubs if he would still be able to "see out". I say it like that bc I know it's not that easy to see out if his glass tank he is in now being that it's very humid, substrate everywhere on wall etc.

What do you guys think? He will be ok with the clear plastic tubs? I can't move the other one in tub in place of (I'd rather keep him where it's familiar).

Any opinions would be great!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I've used the clear plastic tubs before no problem. They aren't even very clear.

If you do notice a pacing problem, you can line the outside. I use leopard print duct tape as a perimeter on my clear travel bins. It blocks their sight and is fashionable :) ;) :p

M

Maggie Cummings

I know everybody says it's not good if they see out and pace, but I have raised a lot of turtles and tortoises in containers they could see out of, and I believe they learn quickly they can't go thru the glass and they adjust. I have never had any kind of a problem because they could see out. Now Bob, that's a whole nuther story....

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks for sharing that Maggie.
I've yet to have issues with using a glass tank but my experience is limited when compared to yours. To hear you say this shows me my findings aren't that uncommon;)

Jenblalock003

Thanks for sharing that Maggie.
I've yet to have issues with using a glass tank but my experience is limited when compared to yours. To hear you say this shows me my findings aren't that uncommon;)

Thank you all. I agree I love the glass tanks myself bc I like the fact they can see me. I haven't had any problems with pacing etc. Baby loves the glass so I'm just wondering if getting the clear plastic tubs will make him mad that he can't see out. Or if it will be the same since the glass isn't all that "see through" most of the time being that substrate and water is usually all over the walls.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really love the convenience, weight, price of the plastic tubs. Plastic is what I use when I have to have an indoor habitat.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have two glass fish aquarium (40G and 25G) I use that only for quarantine new baby torts.

I will not buy another one, I will go with the plastic tub with lids. Very easy to create a closed chamber enclosure.