Do I stop the grocery store greens?

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Now that my two babies are eating grass, dandelion, clover, hibiscus leaves and flowers, rose leaves and flowers. I just introduced grape leaves too. When I identify more of the weeds in the yard they will get even more. Do I just offer these throughout the summer into fall early/winter? Will they get picky and forget that they liked the bok choy, turnip greens, and all the other grocery store stuff?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Now that my two babies are eating grass, dandelion, clover, hibiscus leaves and flowers, rose leaves and flowers. I just introduced grape leaves too. When I identify more of the weeds in the yard they will get even more. Do I just offer these throughout the summer into fall early/winter? Will they get picky and forget that they liked the bok choy, turnip greens, and all the other grocery store stuff?

They never forget.

Ps - what kind of tortoise?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tortoises can get attached to one or two foods and get picky over it but they won't starve themselves! If they get a little stubborn switching back in fall they will get over it soon enough. I personally would feed all the wild things I could get, the variety is so important.

Megatron's Mom

Tortoises can get attached to one or two foods and get picky over it but they won't starve themselves! If they get a little stubborn switching back in fall they will get over it soon enough. I personally would feed all the wild things I could get, the variety is so important.
Thanks, it's good to know they will not starve if I go all wild.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed my tortoises seasonally with what is available. I only use grocery store produce if there is absolutely nothing else available at that time of year. They will have no problem switching back to grocery store greens when/if that becomes necessary.

Megatron's Mom

I feed my tortoises seasonally with what is available. I only use grocery store produce if there is absolutely nothing else available at that time of year. They will have no problem switching back to grocery store greens when/if that becomes necessary.
That was my plan but then I started worrying. Glad they will switch back if needed.