Do i need an article 10 form

daniel12456

Hi I'm sure this as been asked over and over but i keep getting false information and im just looking for someone to help me regarding this law reason being is we have owned our pet for over 10 years and we got him as a gift and have now come to the decision of selling him. Before posting any advertisements of any kind we came across a site where it says we need the article 10 form in order to sell him. opun our research into this it states on defra site you don't require an a10 form if your in possession of an annex a herman tortiose in which we have or if we gift him away. Do we need an A10 and microchipping ? Thank you for any help

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Ok so if I understood you right you have a hermann tortoise without paperwork? And you wanna sell him? Normally you get the yellow cites **** when you buy the tortoise and than you can register the animal by the department. When you sell the tortoise you have to cancel the register and than everything is ok.
So if you haven't got the paper your animal is illegal.

daniel12456

Hi no I'm not German is this the law that came into place in 1984 ? Yes your right we got him without paperwork back in 2003 -2004 time as a gift we was told they got him from a shop in which is no longer in existence is it possible to apply for an a10 or anything we didn't know anything about this until we came to selling ya see. Ya don't expect to go to a pet shop and know everything as you'd expect they are doing the right thing so what should I do now? Thanks

daniel12456

he might have come with with paper work originally but we no longer have it .If we did and this might of been the forms were talking about but I cannot recall if these are the forms or not. If they are lost I imagine we can re apply for them

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
You're in the UK I presume?
@juli11 we don't technically require CITES papers in the UK in the same way that you guys in Germany and France have them.
To legally sell-you are allowed to keep, and gift, but you're not allowed to sell offspring either without one- an Annex A tortoise in the UK-hermanni, egyptians, graeca, radiata etc.- you need an Article 10 paperwork from DEFRA, who are our equivalent of the USFW. You may be able to apply for paperwork from DEFRA, they have let people in the past, but give as much history as you can to them. Pet shops are notorious for not doing this properly. If over 6cm I think, maybe 10 but I think they've changed it, he also needs microchipping. I'm not the best UK keeper to answer it really as I don't own annex a species personally, but I have researched it. Go on the Shelled Warriors Forum for more help if you want. Contact DEFRA, they may let you get a new cert. These threads should help though:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72476&highlight=defra
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72553&highlight=defra

Teesh

You're in the UK I presume?
@juli11 we don't technically require CITES papers in the UK in the same way that you guys in Germany and France have them.
To legally sell-you are allowed to keep, and gift, but you're not allowed to sell offspring either without one- an Annex A tortoise in the UK-hermanni, egyptians, graeca, radiata etc.- you need an Article 10 paperwork from DEFRA, who are our equivalent of the USFW. You may be able to apply for paperwork from DEFRA, they have let people in the past, but give as much history as you can to them. Pet shops are notorious for not doing this properly. If over 6cm I think, maybe 10 but I think they've changed it, he also needs microchipping. I'm not the best UK keeper to answer it really as I don't own annex a species personally, but I have researched it. Go on the Shelled Warriors Forum for more help if you want. Contact DEFRA, they may let you get a new cert. These threads should help though:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72476&highlight=defra
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72553&highlight=defra
Hi !!! I live on France and my tort was a Gift too, Would i be able to bring HIM to a vet with out papers?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi I'm sure this as been asked over and over but i keep getting false information and im just looking for someone to help me regarding this law reason being is we have owned our pet for over 10 years and we got him as a gift and have now come to the decision of selling him. Before posting any advertisements of any kind we came across a site where it says we need the article 10 form in order to sell him. opun our research into this it states on defra site you don't require an a10 form if your in possession of an annex a herman tortiose in which we have or if we gift him away. Do we need an A10 and microchipping ? Thank you for any help
I believe you can't sell any med tort without papers and microchip. I know a guy who just gave his 3 spur thighed torts away because he didn't have the papers for them to be able to sell.