New with input needed Easter Box or Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City, Mo
Wanted to stop in and say hi. I just joined. Been doing research off and on for about 6 month...Trying to do even more research.

We currently have 2 crested gecko's, a saltwater aquarium & a blue healer mix.

We are planning on getting a tortoise or box turtle soon.

I think our son has narrowed it down to either an eastern box or Greek.
We realize these are 2 different types, not at all the same, hence our decision.

We are trying to help him with a final decision. Any input would be appreciated.
We have been trying to find a breeder in the Kansas City, or surrounding area, however, have not had much luck. We have even tried to contact a local turtle rescue, many times who I can only guess is to busy, or does not want to let anyone adopt, because we have heard zero from them.

Been reading a lot of negative things about buying from chain pet stores... Any input on this?
Been talking to a breeder from this site. We live in Kansas City Mo, so crazy weather.

I guess that is all I have for now, and I am sure we will have other questions.
We appreciate any helpful advice in the meantime

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I live a few hours away from you in Nebraska. :) I have found that for me the Greeks are much easier to keep then the Eastern box turtles. To me, a chain store is just lke buying from a rescue, a breeeder, Craig's list, online or where ever. It's up to each store and then down to each animal about how "good" they are or how healthy the animals will be. I do prefer getting one that I can see and check out hands on above any other way. Are you thinking adult or hatchling?

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Hi!
thanks for the reply. Looking for a hatchling, which would rule out the local pet type stores :/

Going back and forth between the 2.... A little overwhelmed.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
JenTy7203 said:
Wanted to stop in and say hi. I just joined. Been doing research off and on for about 6 month...Trying to do even more research.

We currently have 2 crested gecko's, a saltwater aquarium & a blue healer mix.

We are planning on getting a tortoise or box turtle soon.

I think our son has narrowed it down to either an eastern box or Greek.
We realize these are 2 different types, not at all the same, hence our decision.

We are trying to help him with a final decision. Any input would be appreciated.
We have been trying to find a breeder in the Kansas City, or surrounding area, however, have not had much luck. We have even tried to contact a local turtle rescue, many times who I can only guess is to busy, or does not want to let anyone adopt, because we have heard zero from them.

Been reading a lot of negative things about buying from chain pet stores... Any input on this?
Been talking to a breeder from this site. We live in Kansas City Mo, so crazy weather.

I guess that is all I have for now, and I am sure we will have other questions.
We appreciate any helpful advice in the meantime

Hi! I'm realitively new too! We got a Greek torti for our 12 yr old daughter almost 2 weeks ago. We got her from Petsmart. He's wonderful! I'll put a pic up so you can see him. He really is entertaining and personable. He's not afraid of us any more and he sticks his little head out to get scratched whenever we open the tank to talk w/ him and change his water or food.

The only thing you need to remember when buying from a pet chain is that they are OLDER then what they tell you. They told me that Mr. Pickles was a few months old but I knew better because of the research I did. He's more like a few YEARS old. lol Read EVERYTHING in this group, the amount of knowledge here is better then any book or the internet in my opinion.

O and don't buy those multicolored tortoise pellets they sell at the chain stores. They hate them. lol Found that out the hard way.....lol
Can't wait to see pics of your new family member!

Attachments

• DSC01022.JPG
    DSC01022.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 39

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Jacqui said:
Hi! I live a few hours away from you in Nebraska. :) I have found that for me the Greeks are much easier to keep then the Eastern box turtles. To me, a chain store is just lke buying from a rescue, a breeeder, Craig's list, online or where ever. It's up to each store and then down to each animal about how "good" they are or how healthy the animals will be. I do prefer getting one that I can see and check out hands on above any other way. Are you thinking adult or hatchling?

Thanks for the reply :)
This is what we have heard from same, then other say box turtles are easier... What makes you say Greek are easier than box for you? This may help us with our decision.

Greatly appreciate it :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
JenTy7203 said:
Jacqui said:

Thanks for the reply :)
This is what we have heard from same, then other say box turtles are easier... What makes you say Greek are easier than box for you? This may help us with our decision.

Greatly appreciate it :D
My guess would be that she means animals that need a higher humidity can sometimes be a bit more difficult to maintain than those that do not need as high of humidity. You know, keeping the temps and humidity in the right range. You spray to keep humidity up, but then the temps go down. Things dry out after awhile and temps go up. And just making sure the humidity stays up can sometimes be a challenge.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The humidity is a major thing. Diet for an Eastern is a bit more complicated then a Greek who just eats greens. Also with a box you have to decide if you want to hibernate or not.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
I have read that Greeks hibernate too.... Is this not correct?

I gets pretty humid here in MO, so when whatever we get, is older, we do plan on a outdoor habitat to use often.
Our crested geckos need hot and humid so we are used to that.
I work from home and am able to mist their cages several times a day.

Appreciate the info.... Keep it coming.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I second what Jacqui said. All the different sub species of box turtles can be rather difficult to keep indoors, even for a short period of time.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
We have both, more or less...Hermann's, which are very similar in care/feeding to many Greek subspecies, and Ornate Box turtles, which are very similar in care/feeding to Eastern boxes.

If you can't get a Hermann's, try to get an Iberian Greek...both are very hardy torts. And for a 1st tort, go w/ a young adult...MUCH simpler! Besides, properly taken care of, a 2-5 yr.-old European is likely to be around for your child's grand-children! :)

Some subspecies of Greeks are a bit more delicate, so be sure of what you're getting...some from the more southern part of their range, for instance, can get pretty sick if allowed to get chilled. No idea what you'll find at PetsMart, but I've heard that sometimes their suppliers mix Greeks from various localities, which can expose each other to illnesses and parasites, so buy directly from a breeder, and avoid that potential problem. Price'll be pretty much the came and occ. a little lower.

Box turtles are a little more delicate, but can also make a great and long-lived pet.

And welcome to our little slice of chelonean heaven! :cool:

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Thanks for the input. Yes, we were considering the Iberian Greek.

Am I wrong... I have read that they hibernate, and so does the Eastern box?

One thing I was told it that the box can be left for a day or two if needed. Because you can leave crickets in the habitat and keep the humidity up with water etc. was told this is not an option with a Greek because of the diet. Was told all this by a breeder.

I have been getting very conflicting info from books, Internet etc.
it is really starting to get overwhelming.

So appreciate all the advise.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
JenTy7203 said:
Thanks for the input. Yes, we were considering the Iberian Greek.

Am I wrong... I have read that they hibernate, and so does the Eastern box?

One thing I was told it that the box can be left for a day or two if needed. Because you can leave crickets in the habitat and keep the humidity up with water etc. was told this is not an option with a Greek because of the diet. Was told all this by a breeder.

I have been getting very conflicting info from books, Internet etc.
it is really starting to get overwhelming.

So appreciate all the advise.

They can hibernate, but will sometimes die during it, if you're not careful. The advantage on allowing them to stay awake is that you can monitor their health daily, and if it gets sick, you can get right onto getting it well, again...and that can make the crucial difference, sometimes.

OTOH, there's no problem w/ never hibernating them...I've kept tortoises for 37 years and have never hibernated them. My 1st, formerly my Grandfather's pet, was a pet for 50 years w/o ever being hibernated.

And, I'd miss not interacting with them on a daily basis. :cool:

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Would prefer to not hibernate them.

So am I understanding that both the EBT & Greek do not have to? Or?
Sorry, so full of questions. The more research I do the more confused I get! Lol
Just trying to be a responsible pet owner. Our son is really partial to the EBT. Really just need to find out main differences and make sure the EBT is not going to be extremely difficult compared to a Greek. I do understand it will be different.

Thanks again for the input.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
JenTy7203 said:
Would prefer to not hibernate them.

So am I understanding that both the EBT & Greek do not have to?

Correct...neither have to hibernate and they'll be perfect healthy, if all other needs (temp, food, water and TLC) are met.

I know a woman who has raised her Ornate box turtle, Diana, from literally hatching to the ripe old age of 26 and she's never been hibernated. Diana's produced several viable clutchs and is at least a grandmother (how cool is that! :p).

Or?
Sorry, so full of questions. The more research I do the more confused I get! Lol

Asking questions are how you get answers, and you've come to the right place...the good folks here, one and all, love to help mewbies (and their pets) have long-term happy lives together!

Just trying to be a responsible pet owner.

That's the best kind! :cool:

Our son is really partial to the EBT. Really just need to find out main differences and make sure the EBT is not going to be extremely difficult compared to a Greek. I do understand it will be different.

Not a lot more difficult, really, and in some ways easier. Boxs are omnivorous (eat both animal AND plant-based foods) and need somewhat higher humidity than European torts, but other than that, not terribly different. Definitely managable.

Thanks again for the input.

We're all happy to help! :)

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Terry, THANK YOU.. You have no idea how much that helped :)

So greatly appreciate it.

I am sure I will have more questions... Getting very close to a purchase :)
Just want to have all out ducks in a row.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
JenTy7203 said:
Terry, THANK YOU.. You have no idea how much that helped :)

So greatly appreciate it.

I am sure I will have more questions... Getting very close to a purchase :)
Just want to have all out ducks in a row.

Having all your ducks in a row is good! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.