Do females cluck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Red-footeds and other tortoises make a lot of different kinds of noises. The typical 'teenaged' male, full of hormones and not really knowing what to do with them, makes a LOUD series of very chicken-like clucking noises that generally escalate for a bit, then cycle over and over. This is often accompanied with 'mock mating' behaviors.

There are clucks and similar noises associated with mating, and apparently sometimes with male domination.

There are also noises like clicks, generally heard when a tortoise is eating something- it is often reported by adult Red-footeds- male and female- eating fruit.

So... do females cluck? I don't have any first hand experience of it, but females certainly do mock mating, dominance, and so forth. Captive female 'cherry-heads' are also well-documented as developing all other masculine characteristics- why not clucks as well?

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Yes but she wasn't eating anything she was walking around neck straight out and looking up at me and clucking

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think she was making a pass at you OR you have a he and he was challenging you....LOL

Do not know!!!!! Just having fun with ya and your chicken tortoise...LOL..okay, I'll stop ;)

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Well if she wants to be a chicken she can move outside with the real chicken maybe get a rare chicken tortoise hypo?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
All of my females cluck from time to time, especially when they are about to lay, and then they usually bully the other females (and also the males). They even mount the other torts and make their typical mating chicken cluck sound. And this is a typical sign of domination during these periods.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
From Geochelone_carbonaria:
"3.5.1.18 Cherryhead Redfoot Tortoises

(Did you know that I'm a World Champion, and am going to be in the Guiness Book of Records ?)"

Off topic reply: For what? Inventing a 4th gender category? :) :) :)

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Madkins007 said:
From Geochelone_carbonaria:
"3.5.1.18 Cherryhead Redfoot Tortoises

(Did you know that I'm a World Champion, and am going to be in the Guiness Book of Records ?)"

Off topic reply: For what? Inventing a 4th gender category? :) :) :)

LOL ! Since a moderator is asking, I guess it's ok to go off topic ?

I'm actually a member in a Ukulele band, playing mostly Beatles songs and other songs from the sixties. And we happened to be the main attraction on stage when the largest ukulele ensable broke the world record this summer here in Sweden :

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news...ld-record/

We also have a homepage (but it's only in Swedish so far) :

http://www.trellebelleukuleleorchestra.se

And I'm the "Eggman" of course, what else could I be ? :D

And we're heading for the Beatlesweek in Liverpool in August 2012 ! C u all there maybe ?

So now you know that I've got two odd hobbies, redfoots and ukulele :p

Sorry again for the off topic :tort:

/Mike

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Cherryheads are very vocal Tortoises, including Females.........They'll make a myriad of noise, along with body language to communicate with other Tortoises.......

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
bobbymoore said:
Wow this really went off topic

It was just a short detour! :)

Back to our regularly scheduled thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.