Do blue tongue skinks need UVA???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Actually, you have it backwards. Bluetongues do not need UVB as long as they are fed a proper diet that includes supplementing with calcium and D3. I don't think it has been positively proven that they need UVA, but the general consensus is that they do much better with a photo period that exposes them to UVA light for at least part of each day.

I have kept dozens of BTS from various species for years without ever being exposed to UVB. I have never had one that failed to thrive, and they breed very well. I have always provided them with UVA light though.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Like Jeff, I don't believe UVB is crucial to blue tongued skinks. Many keepers do supply it though. A lot of us who have species that do need UVB will just use the older tubes (when we switch them out every 6 months) for our blue tongues to light up the enclosure. My BTS is old (at least 15 years old if not more) and he does just fine with a hot basking spot and no UVB.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Lisa and Jeff. UV B is not needed by a BTS but being a dirnual lizard the UV A (recreating daylight) and a basking area is good. Like Lisa I use old UV B bulbs to light enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.