Dinner in Australia? ** graphic snake meal photos **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
EDIT: The text and images below were emailed to me. Though I'm now hearing these are Australian animals. Probably a black-headed python and a gould's monitor.

DINNER IN ARIZONA
These pictures were taken by some friends out at Cloudbreak, Arizona last week. It took a total of 5 hours for the Desert King Snake to finish off the Goanna Sand Monitor.
As you can see, they put some stakes with flag tape on them plus a hazard/danger triangle up to help keeping someone from running over them. Looking at the man then comparing him to both the Desert King and the Goanna the snake looks to be at least 8' and the lizard about 5'... What do you think?

Picture 14.png

Picture 13.png

Picture 12.png

Picture 11.png

Picture 10.png

Picture 9.png

Picture 8.png

Picture 7.png

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
RE: Dinner in Arizona ** graphic snake meal photos **

Great pictures - Unfortunately the story behind it is false. Those pictures were taken in Australia as those are both australian species. The snake is a black headed python, Aspidites melanocephalus

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

Wow great pic's:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

WOW that is not a small lizard, and 5 hours to get it down. Good thing a bigger predator didnt happen along that snake was vulnerable...Fantastic time lasp photos...

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom

blimey!!!!!!

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

SnakeyeZ said:
Great pictures - Unfortunately the story behind it is false. Those pictures were taken in Australia as those are both australian species. The snake is a black headed python, Aspidites melanocephalus

Thanks for the heads up! The images and text were forwarded to me. Didn't think to fact-check them! DOH!
EDIT in place.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No problem Josh! I was a snake keepr long before I was a tortoise keeper so those pictures surfaced a few times already for me. I just wanted to make sure I spread the word! Haha.

Beautiful snake though.... seeing a black headed python is person is out of this world. They are beautiful looking!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It's always amazing to see how much a snakes jaws can detach like that...I can't imagine what type of food I'd be eating If I could do that.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Tortuga_terrestre said:
That is awesome. Im suprised the monitor claws did not tear the snake's skin.

Snakes have pretty tough skin that stretches quite a bit to allow the snake to swallon such items. Snakes usually always eat head first which forces the arms/legs to be pushed along side the preys body. The claw curve inwards as well. The first couple times I watched my snakes eat I watched until the tail disappeared. Rarely do I watch anymore - novelty kind of wears out.

FernandoM said:
It's always amazing to see how much a snakes jaws can detach like that...I can't imagine what type of food I'd be eating If I could do that.

It is neat. A snakes jaw is made up of elastic ligements which allow it to swallow prey items. Here's a picture that shows just that.

070105_snake_jaws_02.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
As sad as I am to see a beautiful lizard like that gone, I have to say it was incredible.
Thanks for sharing.
NAy

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
SnakeyeZ said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
That is awesome. Im suprised the monitor claws did not tear the snake's skin.

Snakes have pretty tough skin that stretches quite a bit to allow the snake to swallon such items. Snakes usually always eat head first which forces the arms/legs to be pushed along side the preys body. The claw curve inwards as well. The first couple times I watched my snakes eat I watched until the tail disappeared. Rarely do I watch anymore - novelty kind of wears out.

FernandoM said:

It is neat. A snakes jaw is made up of elastic ligements which allow it to swallow prey items. Here's a picture that shows just that.

070105_snake_jaws_02.jpg

I'd be eating 10x10 - In n Out animal style burgers haha. That's so cool...

I think I'm really hungry now.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Haha! Yeah no kidding. Off topic but ever see the show Man VS Food? I need a burger like one of those!!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
SnakeyeZ said:
Haha! Yeah no kidding. Off topic but ever see the show Man VS Food? I need a burger like one of those!!

yes! Some of that stuff...i wouldn't be able to eat..but a majority of it I would. My wife would kill me though!

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The craziest part is how long that snake will go without eating after a meal like that. What a digestive system!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
FernandoM said:
SnakeyeZ said:

yes! Some of that stuff...i wouldn't be able to eat..but a majority of it I would. My wife would kill me though!

No kidding... lol. I would love to "try" and eat a burger that massive. I would fail at eating it all but still wouldn't stop me. I can barely eat a 1/2 lb burger.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Depends on the species, health of the snake and how large the prey item is. That snake would easily go 3-5 weeks without another meal. Snakes in the wild are optunistic hunters though so if next week another lizard came on by the snake would probably take it too.

I usually feed my young snakes once every 7 days, and adults get fed every 10-14 days.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It also didn't take 5 hours.......Unless it stopped because it was being disturbed........

Blackheads are Reptile eaters, along with the majority of Herps in that region......

Status
Not open for further replies.