dilemma-insight please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
Ok, so about 6 months ago, I was called into the administrators office for a quick chat..
Once I entered, the president, office administrator,and HR were present.
In a nutshell, the president of the company had a new position for me and said stuff like"Oh, Abe, you're such a valuable employee..you need a raise.."
After a lot being said, I was given a new position handling subpoenas. I took the initiative to do my best and perform well & have no received that "raise"..not even a review.
Today, I get another call into the administrator/office manager's office and am greeted with the same ol' "Abe you've done a great job, but we desperately need your assistance in a new position".
Sooo, I agreed and when I reminded her about what the Doctor(president of Co.) had suggested I receive...she said I would have to 90days to see if I was doing a good job on the new position.

So my question....what the heck,man?!!:(
Well, let me rephrase that...what could I have said or asked to get a better outcome? ?
Thanks in advanced.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
The first week you didnt receive the raise you should have questioned it. I have had companies that wait for you to ask....

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I guess you're right. ..but when the president regularly announces "reviews coming up soon guys, promise."--to the point of it being a joke.
I've marked my calendar and she will she my face again in 3 months.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Ugh, that sounds very deceitful and insincere.

If you have other job opportunities, start looking into them. If you're sure you're a valuable employee and that you could get hired elsewhere, you should let your boss know you're looking. If (s)he asks why, mention the promised but unfulfilled pay raise.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I live in Sacramento and feel your job market pain...
I have been looking for work for about 2 years now!

I havent worked outside the house since I lived here and its hard for me to leave my son for crummy money....

There are so many peolple looking for work it put me out of work, as a Professional Recruiter, no one wants to hire me...why would they, applicants that are over qualified flood there doors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the time to have spoken out would have been when you received your first paycheck on the new job. At that time you could have mentioned to your immediate supervisor that you were told a pay increase was going to accompany the new job title.

Now you'll just have to wait the three months and ask again at that time.

chadk

10 Year Member!
You can ask for it in writing. As it is, it is just word of mouth. And there probably are no specific terms so they can come up with any reason not to give it to you. What are they expecting of you in the next 90 days? How will they measure you? How will you know if you are above or below expectations as you approach the 90 day mark?

But in reality, sounds like they just work like that and you won't be able to make much in the way of change. Work your butt off and do a great job. Just ingore the talk about raises and other empty promises. Have a reputation of being a solid contributor, dependable, loyal, dedicated, and excellent character. Be happy you have a job. Be open and and direct when you have those conversations with your boss - don't be a push over, but don't be a whiner either.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
When I get reviews in my company, they sit me down with paperwork on everything that the new position entitles. Your duties, what is expected of you, and also they let me know what I've done well on, and also what I need improvement on. This is something they should have done. Last time I got my promotion, they had all that paperwork, 2 managers and myself signed everything, and then at the end they discussed what my new raise would be. It should have happened like this. Since now they have said another 90 days, in 90 days they should do exactly this. They should sit down and talk with you about what you've done good, and what you need to work on, and if they will be keeping you in that same position [if so, they should discuss pay then as well]. You need to be assertive, but not persistently annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.