Digging to China

mrsturtlelady

5 Year Member
Hello all. My sweet RT Milly digs all the time. Is that normal? Is there something I can do different? Is she bored? We take her outdoors every evening. ImageUploadedByTortForum1377201529.735698.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Normal.

Russians need large enclosures with lots of room to roam. Your enclosure is on the small side for a tortoise that size, something bigger might make things a little better.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I don't thing digging means their bored as Mo loves to do this in different parts of his enclosure! Like this....
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377293588.959628.jpg
Look carefully in the middle of the photo! Lol.... It took me ages to find him! Get a bigger enclosure and make your topsoil/coconut coir mix deep in different areas. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Russian Torts dig a lot in the wild and this behavior is completely normal. Just means you've got a healthy tort!!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
agreed, my Russian LOVES to dig and roam around all the time. theyre known for it, and with that in mind make sure your enclosure is of good size.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
mrsturtlelady said:
Hello all. My sweet RT Milly digs all the time. Is that normal? Is there something I can do different? Is she bored? We take her outdoors every evening.
Russian tortoises are a true burrowing species. What your tortoise is doing is natural for the species and really shouldn't be discouraged. Russian tortoises that constantly dig are usually be trying to establish a permanent burrow. In captivity some are content with man made shelters or artificial burrows. Some will just bury themselves. Others have a stronger natural instinct and will only settle with an actual burrow as they would inhabit in the wild.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I just adopted this little lady. She is a peach! I have her running around my living room right now because it was too dark to put her in the garden when we got home. She is not shy! I am going to get some more fence to separate her from the boys in the morning! Until then, she will be in the 5 x 4 play pen on the patio! I can't wait to let her meet the boys. Supervised visit of course! Thanks for trusting me with her Heather!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Yep. My RTs love to dig. They really like to burrow into hay. Its weird.

justino4444

5 Year Member
My tort has a burrow that is like a foot deep in the outdoor enclosure

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
At least part of the effect of being in a burrow is the small secure space. The wooden hide you have might offer that better if you stuff it full of dry cut grass, or hay, etc. That way the tortoise will feel itself in an secure closed space, and that may settle it down.

This seems true of leopards when they hunker up against a grass clump or push up under a small shrub. They feel it on their carapace, and seem to benefit from that as a secure hide. So, even non burrowing tortoises get some sort of security with being enclosed, or hunkered in.