Different species together?

Elisebooo

I am going on holiday for 2 weeks and a friend who has a Horsefield tortoise has offered to look after my Hermann. They are going in together but there is a plank of wood that is splitting the table in half so they won't be able to touch but will still be in the same enclosure. Is this safe? Or could it still spread infection?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because your tort will be going on part of the table that her tort has been living on and no disinfecting then yes, her tort could speed something to yours. Then, after your tort is gone, and that half is now used by her tort, then your tort could spread something to hers. Let alone if any urine were to speed from one side to another. If both torts are healthy, it's probably a minor risk, but still a risk.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
it's never good to mix species heck i wouldn't even have the same species in a enclosure unless it was a huge enclosure

Elisebooo

Because your tort will be going on part of the table that her tort has been living on and no disinfecting then yes, her tort could speed something to yours. Then, after your tort is gone, and that half is now used by her tort, then your tort could spread something to hers. Let alone if any urine were to speed from one side to another. If both torts are healthy, it's probably a minor risk, but still a risk.
Okay thank you I will definitely consider taking my table round and making a vet appointment for a checkup when he gets back incase they have been spreading something

Elisebooo

it's never good to mix species heck i wouldn't even have the same species in a enclosure unless it was a huge enclosure
Yeah I didn't think it was a good idea either, I will probably take my table round for him while I'm away

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bringing your own enclosure is a better idea for many reasons.

Even better would be to leave your tortoise at home and have someone come in and take care of him daily.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I would strongly advise against putting an RT and Hermanns together - for one, most RTs in the US are wild-caught, and can be carriers of all sorts of nonsense that could kill the Hermanns. And second, those are both very scrappy species, with territorial behavior that can become dangerous. Much fighting and biting would ensue.
If you can't find someone to come into your home to care for your tortoise, maybe you can bring yours over there in a rubbermaid bin, with lights etc - that would be just fine for a week or so, until you get back. I'd be sure to emphasize the importance of the tortoises not spending ANY time together, and for separate soaking containers to be used. Strictly speaking, hands should even be washed between handling the two.