10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Awesome Jordan thanks for posting it. I bookmarked it. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's great Jordan. I wish they had something like that on Cherry Heads. If you ever run across something like that post it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
terryo said:
That's great Jordan. I wish they had something like that on Cherry Heads. If you ever run across something like that post it.

That's tougher since Cherryheads are mostly just a color morph of the Southern group of Red-foot Tortoises.

The basics to look for would be:
- Basic Southern characteristics, such as...
---- Mostly dark plastron with lighter centers to the scutes
---- No 'wasp-waisting' on adult males
---- Enlarged scale, almost a spur, inside the front elbows
- Slightly enlarged nose with a colorful tip- the 'Rudolph Sign'
- Head and limb scales are generally bright or brick red, although they can be dark oranges, etc. as well. Generally a bright color on black skin.
- The skin on the neck is dark with red markings
- Shell sometimes shows mottling, marbling, or other unusual color patterns.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Yeah my research showed up that there is a lot of debate about where the cherry head even originated from

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so cherryheads, more color on the face? or are they as some claim a dwarf?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Yeah my research showed up that there is a lot of debate about where the cherry head even originated from

There is a lot we don't know. We know they can be found in the Bahia region of Brazil, but not the full range. There is evidence that some of their characteristics are not unique to the group but may be part of a 'cline'- a range or spectrum of characteristics from the full cherryhead to more normal looking animals in other areas.

dmmj said:
so cherryheads, more color on the face? or are they as some claim a dwarf?

USUALLY colorful faces, and usually the entire face is one color while most other Red-foots show a few colors or tints.

'Dwarf' is probably false, and most often seems to be a marketing ploy. As I understand it, some early animals were imported and seemed to be smaller than usual when sexually mature, but many 'cherrys' grow bigger than the usual Red-foot- which is common for the Southern forms. I don't think I would trust the 'dwarf' label unless both parents are documented as such as well.

On the other hand, a lot of people say that cherrys hit sexual maturity smaller than most Red-foots do.

Status
Not open for further replies.