Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
A lady I know from the ballfield told me she gives her Ca Desert Torts Fruitless Mullberry tree leaves. Is this okay? I have a tree so if it is good for them that would be great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Very good for them. I have always used it for all of my herbivorous species.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That's a great food for them! I'm so jealous- my neighbor has a mulberry tree but they spray it :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow that is fabulous. I wish I could identify more of the plant in my area. I am trying to give them mostly hand picked food instead of grocery store stuff. But I am afraid of giving them something that will harm them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angi said:
Wow that is fabulous. I wish I could identify more of the plant in my area. I am trying to give them mostly hand picked food instead of grocery store stuff. But I am afraid of giving them something that will harm them.

Angi. Have you browsed through the, plant ID section. Tons of plants are already identified there and anything you have that you don't see you can post a pic.

I've been doing what you are contemplating for many years and it has worked well for me. They still get store bought food occasionally, but its mostly grass, weeds, grass hay (for horses), cactus, flowers, mulberry leaves, etc...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Tom said:
Angi said:

Angi. Have you browsed through the, plant ID section. Tons of plants are already identified there and anything you have that you don't see you can post a pic.

I've been doing what you are contemplating for many years and it has worked well for me. They still get store bought food occasionally, but its mostly grass, weeds, grass hay (for horses), cactus, flowers, mulberry leaves, etc...

I have looked at the plant section and was able to identfy a few. Most of them don't look familier to me. I took a bunch of pictures of native plants on the trails behind my house and the unkept part of my yard, but I can't post them. The mega bites or what ever they are are too large and I don't know how to resize then I tried tinypictures and still couldn't post them. I am not very good with computer stuff.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Angi said:
Tom said:
Angi said:

I have looked at the plant section and was able to identfy a few. Most of them don't look familier to me. I took a bunch of pictures of native plants on the trails behind my house and the unkept part of my yard, but I can't post them. The mega bites or what ever they are are too large and I don't know how to resize then I tried tinypictures and still couldn't post them. I am not very good with computer stuff.

I just gave them a mullberry leaf and they are loving it. You would think I gave them turtle crack.
I am so glad to have something else to add to their diet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mullberry and grape leaves = tortoise crack

C

champeter

Majority of vegetables should be dark leafy greens greens or tops, kale, cabbage, dandelions , bok-choy , broccoli, rape, backyard grasses, clovers, legumes, and weeds. They wander over quite a wide area and in the process take small quantities of a very wide variety of seasonally available food.

Status
Not open for further replies.