Diet help?

Location (City and/or State)
tampa
Hey everyone, so my tortoise is a little bit chunky, and recently the vet told me he is in need of vitamin A. So my current diet for him is mostly collard greens, hibiscus leaves and flowers., and mustard greens. For vitamin A, I’m planning to add some carrots or sweet pepper in as well. However, while doing some research, I’m apparently doing something wrong? Some people have told me to pull out and wash safe weeds from my yard and give only that to my tortoise with some of my current foods. Others have told me my current diet is fine for him. What should my diet for him consist of?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is Bruno a Greek or a Russian? At any rate, here's a list of foods to choose from:

dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, spring mix, endive and escarole carrot tops, cilantro, mustard, turnip and collard greens, and lots of other leafy greens.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You do need more variety.

@BrunoTheGreekTortoise, are you near any open space in Tampa? There are a number of plants in Florida suitable for the wild gopher tortoises that live there, some of which are suitable for you Russian.

Also, I’m sure you’re near some kind of hispanic market. Run in to see if they have any cactus pads, labeled nopales. They are a common food item in many, but not all of the Latin American countries so you may find some. They are excellent tortoise foods.

You are in the Southwest region, I think? Here is a list of wild foods you might find around you: https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/help/plant-guide/southwest-region/. Most of the shrubs and grasses/grasslike plants aren’t appropriate but there are plenty of others to choose from. One of the shrubs that is listed is hibiscus, which is totally fine and no doubt common where you are. Check what you find with us or use the database in the TortoiseTable.org. It won’t have info on every plant, but some of them.

Also, please don’t overdo it with the carrot or pepper. It’s good for A but they can’t digest much at once, too much sugar.

tampa
You do need more variety.

@BrunoTheGreekTortoise, are you near any open space in Tampa? There are a number of plants in Florida suitable for the wild gopher tortoises that live there, some of which are suitable for you Russian.

Also, I’m sure you’re near some kind of hispanic market. Run in to see if they have any cactus pads, labeled nopales. They are a common food item in many, but not all of the Latin American countries so you may find some. They are excellent tortoise foods.

You are in the Southwest region, I think? Here is a list of wild foods you might find around you: https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/help/plant-guide/southwest-region/. Most of the shrubs and grasses/grasslike plants aren’t appropriate but there are plenty of others to choose from. One of the shrubs that is listed is hibiscus, which is totally fine and no doubt common where you are. Check what you find with us or use the database in the TortoiseTable.org. It won’t have info on every plant, but some of them.

Also, please don’t overdo it with the carrot or pepper. It’s good for A but they can’t digest much at once, too much sugar.

Ok thank you!

tampa
Is Bruno a Greek or a Russian? At any rate, here's a list of foods to choose from:

dandelion, sow thistle, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, spring mix, endive and escarole carrot tops, cilantro, mustard, turnip and collard greens, and lots of other leafy greens.

He is a Russian tortoise (the pet store told us he was Greek, but the vet ID’d him as a Russian), and thank you!