Russian Tortoise White discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Hi, my russian is peeing white milky discharge... every time. just wondering why, and if its bad. Her diet consists of a variety of kale, spring mix, Baby Spinach, Romaine, and collard greens daily sprinkled with a calcium and vitamin d3 Supplement.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
well I've only had her since Christmas, I haven't yet but I plan to mix it up a bit. This is just what ive been feeding her. She's been doing this since I got her. Other that that she seems fine. Very alert and healthy.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My Russian always excretes that milky white urea discharge. As far as my research has taken me, this is the normal way that desert tortoises pee, since they don't have a lot of water in their bodies. That's why you're supposed to soak them once or twice a week, because the only time they will release that urea from their bodies is when they have an excess of water.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
oh ok well I've been soaking her every day. so this is to much?

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Hi ehopkins. I don't own Russians but that is normal. Torts,in the wild, sometimes have a hard time finding water, thus holding in any water they have until they find more water. Here's another similar question that was resolved earlier.
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11327.html

Speedy_Tortoise

5 Year Member
my tortoise pees normally (clearish yellow) sometimes and has white pee sometimes. Is the clearish pee okay too?

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that Russians don't need to be soaked daily, and in my experience they have a whitish creamy with clear urine...

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Yes, the white discharge is normal, those are their urates. The clearish liquid is fine as well, not to worry. As Abe said, they hold in their water while in the wild because they do not know when their next drink will be. You don't need to soak daily, and if they are having urates everyday, you're probably soaking too much. As long as your Russian is hydrated, you can cut back soaking to a couple times a week. Personally, I soak only 2-3 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.