Diatomaceous Earth Basics

GreenFire719

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
Hello friends! This isn't so much as an issue, I just thought I should spread this information

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is such a wonderful thing to have around. It's made up of fossilized silica shells from diatoms, a type of microalgae, and it's known as a natural insecticide! How does this work exactly is still kinda debated, but the basic idea is that the tiny silica shells are razor-sharp to small insects and parasites and kills them off by cutting into their exoskeletons and drying them out. It will NOT kill eggs, just the crawlies.

With this in mind, it is not toxic for animals and it's commonly used with livestock and in gardens as a natural mechanical pesticide. As far as I am aware, it IS safe for torts as long as they aren't constantly huffing the dust and they can even consume it on occasion without ill effects.

How do you use DE you may ask? Quite simply, however, it is important that you use FOOD-GRADE DE. Food-grade is safe for animals and is only pure DE vs the pest-control variety that often has additives inside it. And if you are like me and have your tort's enclosure doubling as an earthworm bin, DE does not harm Earthworms so you don't have to worry about sacrificing some wrigglers to get rid of pesky gnats.

The reason I decided to share this is that I believe my dirt in one of my bioactive enclosures was infected with pinworms and I was not looking forward to dumping all my baby wrigglers out in the yard. And don't worry, the turtle whos enclosure I will be treating is going to the vet next week with her tortoise brother to get fecal tested and possibly treated (they are both otherwise eating and pooping just fine).:<3:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
DE is widely used by TFO members. Even myself.
But unfortunately it is less effective here outdoors because it rains every stinking day.
My attic is dusted with it to ward off a termite attack and to knock out any Palmetto bugs.
Good stuff

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
I just stumbled across this thread while researching diatomaceous. I grow a lot of plants for my tort, but I live in Florida and everything gets covered with these tiny tiny black bugs and also these white fluffy looking bugs. My hibiscus are especially susceptible to these darn things. Am I able to sprinkle my plants with food grade diatomaceous to get rid of the bugs and still feed the plants to Frankie (after rinsing them?) Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would assume so, but the bugs have to walk through the DE to get the affect.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I use DE to worm our horses and dogs. All last season I tried Using it in the garden. I didn’t find it too effective because of the frequency I have to water in my desert climate. Also our ants here in southern Nevada don’t seem to be bothered by it :(

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Thank you for the feedback. It doesn't sound like DE will provide much relief to my poor hibiscus. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.