Deworming

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi
I have visited a new vet today to deworm my Russian tortoise Rufin. Did you ever heard/used febantel???? Lady gave me a tablet of this stuff to give at home. She didn’t ask about his appetite, poop or health so she hadn’t had a clue on what she’s doing (Honestly I just wanted a dewormer couse my Vet wasn’t available until 2 weeks or so and there is no easy/fast way to buy dewormer in Poland). Besides her lack of knowlage, I thought she will use Fenbendazole..Will this febantel work? I searched for use on tortoise and didn’t find any except some zoo in Taiwan? It’s commonly used for cats and dogs. But there is no information for reptiles. @zovick@Tom @ZEROPILOT what do you think? From what I found it will be ingested and metabolized, should I try or wait for a “normal” visit or Pancur to arrive?

Last edited:

Kasia

Poland
Hi
I reaserched a lot and tablet I’ve got has 3 active substances:
praziquantel, pyrantel embonate and febantel. Combination is known to be OK for reptiles. I have re checked dose and dosing regiment yesterday and gave it to my russian. In the morning I’ve noticed appetite improvment, I will continue with this drug and see how it goes. ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Why couldn't it wait for 2 weeks?
I've never used it.
My vet and I use Panacur. In paste form.
I mix it with soft food and feed each animal separately to insure how much who gets.
But I've only actually treated twice in almost 25 years.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi
I reaserched a lot and tablet I’ve got has 3 active substances:
praziquantel, pyrantel embonate and febantel. Combination is known to be OK for reptiles. I have re checked dose and dosing regiment yesterday and gave it to my russian. In the morning I’ve noticed appetite improvment, I will continue with this drug and see how it goes. ;)
It's important to continue the dosage as recommended.

Kasia

Poland
Why couldn't it wait for 2 weeks?
I've never used it.
My vet and I use Panacur. In paste form.
I mix it with soft food and feed each animal separately to insure how much who gets.
But I've only actually treated twice in almost 25 years.
Hi :)
He has not eaten much for the past two weeks and at the end of this week I’m flying to Spain for a couple of days so I felt it could be more than 2 weeks in total. My tortoisesitter is able to visit once a week and if Rufin does not eat, I at least soak him once a day to keep him hydrated. I would feel bad leaving him in such a poor condition that is why I was in a hurry. He is doing fine so I feel relifed and can go on holidays without stressing.

Kasia

Poland
I have never noticed such a behaviour in my animals but I deworm when I see symptoms and that equals a lack of appetite for a week or more. So they are hungry... in my 6 years as a tortoise owner I have dewormed Rufin 3 times in total and Ernest about 3 for flagellate ( I got him as a heavly infested baby) and one time for pinworms. Thats a lot when I think of it...;/

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
My tortoisesitter is able to visit once a week
Sorry I can't help with deworming (never had to deworm my torts, maybe you should recheck diet and husbandry if you have recurring problems?) but can't you find a sitter who is able to visit daily? Leaving a pet alone for a whole week seems way too long to me. :confused:

Kasia

Poland
Hi Lisa;)
if the tortoise is sick probably its too little but for a healthy one it should be enough;) I leave loads of dry food and a big water dish, lights are on timer, no probs. Sitter checks on them and puts fresh water and food.
Rufin gets sympthoms late spring so I take it as a winter shutdown result, when he is weaker, sleepy and not eating as much. Worms are always there its just a case of how big is their population. I take precoutions as throwing out all the substrate ( he has almost 2m x 2m enclosure so you can imagine amount of work it takes) and cleaning poops daily. Now I keep him on old towels so in my opinion its just how it goes.

Last edited: