Tortoise hasnt defecated since deworming medicine

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi all,
So Max, my russian, was dewormed and tube fed last friday and he has not pooped at all since then. I called the vet thursday asking if this was normal because last time she tube fed him only, he was able to poop 3 days after, and I was told that the deworming medication (panacur) will help him go. I was suppose to get him dewormed for his second dose yesterday but she had an emergency and the next available date is wednesday.
Does anyone know if its normal for a tortoise not to defecate this long after deworming? how long I should wait until its a concerning matter?
I still soak him daily in water.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Has he been eating? If nothing is going in then nothing will be coming out. Also has he been active? sometimes exercise will get them going.

If nothing else give him a cup of coffee, that does the trick for most people! (JUST KIDDING!)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
No, this is the same tortoise that has trouble eating and has the parasite problem. Since ive gotten him from the petstore, he hasnt eaten or been active except when Im able to take him outside, he'll graze on grass and clovers. The weather is back to being cold and its suppose to snow again tonight so he'll be back inside for awhile :(
But when she fed him a couple weeks ago, he was the same and still was able to do his business when i soaked him.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Can you try offering him a variety of different "Sometimes" foods and see if he takes a liking to any of them? With sick animals I have been known to make a plate of like 10 things and see what they will eat and then use it to cover healthy foods and feed them.

It sounds like he has had a pretty stressful time lately and since he's not eating I would assume he's got nothing TO poop.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Can you try offering him a variety of different "Sometimes" foods and see if he takes a liking to any of them? With sick animals I have been known to make a plate of like 10 things and see what they will eat and then use it to cover healthy foods and feed them.

It sounds like he has had a pretty stressful time lately and since he's not eating I would assume he's got nothing TO poop.
Okay, ill try that after i soak him this evening.
And yes i assume hes very stressed :( cant wait til its all over and he's better. Thank you!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
My tortoise always has trouble pooping after a deworming treatment. It's not unusual for him to go a week without pooping after treatment (and that's with eating regularly), and sometimes that first poo is a bit of a struggle.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My tortoise always has trouble pooping after a deworming treatment. It's not unusual for him to go a week without pooping after treatment (and that's with eating regularly), and sometimes that first poo is a bit of a struggle.
Thank you!