Deworming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you know of a place or vet that will deworm for a good price or if you have any "hook-ups" please PM me or let me know here. I want to de-worm my Russian (WC).

Thanks!!

I should add a "local source" to the thread. Thanks

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You could try Panacur I'm not sure of the dosage I would call a vet to find out has any one out there know?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Do you have a reason why you want to use a De-wormer? It just doesn't make sense to me to use a poison to "De-worm" an animal that doesn't need it........

A Fecal comes first, then you treat strategically - Not use a broad spectrum "De-wormer" that won't be effective.......The common things you see on a fecal aren't the bugs you need to worry about.......To really treat for parasites it takes daily Fecals over months to really see what Parasites or Bacteria the animal has, along with multiple treatments of different wormers/Anti-Biotics over a long period of time to really "clean" an animal up.........

Panacur and Flagyl are not the miracle treatments everyone seems to think they are..........Proper husbandry is, and I can count on one hand the amount of wild caught Tortoises I've had to treat that actually had problems......

With proper husbandry, the animals immune system will clean up any potential parasite load quicker and more effieciently than anything man made can........

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The reason is because I will be placing 2 (WC) females (1 de wormed the other not) in with my male. All three are very active and eat regularly.

Is that not necessary?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
The reason is because I will be placing 2 (WC) females (1 de wormed the other not) in with my male. All three are very active and eat regularly.

Is that not necessary?

As long as they've been quarantined, and everything is in order, I wouldn't find it necessary at all.......

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
EricIvins said:
Do you have a reason why you want to use a De-wormer? It just doesn't make sense to me to use a poison to "De-worm" an animal that doesn't need it........

A Fecal comes first, then you treat strategically - Not use a broad spectrum "De-wormer" that won't be effective.......The common things you see on a fecal aren't the bugs you need to worry about.......To really treat for parasites it takes daily Fecals over months to really see what Parasites or Bacteria the animal has, along with multiple treatments of different wormers/Anti-Biotics over a long period of time to really "clean" an animal up.........

Panacur and Flagyl are not the miracle treatments everyone seems to think they are..........Proper husbandry is, and I can count on one hand the amount of wild caught Tortoises I've had to treat that actually had problems......

With proper husbandry, the animals immune system will clean up any potential parasite load quicker and more effieciently than anything man made can........
I would also worm a tort before putting it with others, bytes safe than sorry thing..

I work with a vet and under no circumstances should an antibiotic be used over a long period of time, one reason being damage to kidneys and liver,

If a fecal is done by a competent vet there would be no reason to use different wormers.

With proper husbandry does not get rid of a parasite that a animal already have in their intestines or bloods.
They do need treatment or death could/would be the result.
Panacur and flagyl are for round worm and hook worms, Prazaquiintal is one of the best combined with Milbemycin oxime. I have had brilliant results with this combination.

Praziquantel is an acylated pyrazino-isoquinoline derivative. Praziquantel is active against cestodes and trematodes. It modifies the permeability for calcium (influx of Ca2+) in the membranes of the parasite inducing an imbalance in the membrane structures, leading to membrane depolarisation and almost instantaneous contraction of the musculature (tetany), rapid vacuolization of the syncytial tegument and subsequent tegumental disintegration (blebbing), resulting in easier
expulsion from the gastrointestinal tract or death of the parasite

Milbemycin oxime belongs to the group of macrocyclic lactones, isolated from the
fermentation of Streptomyces hygroscopicus var. aureolacrimosus. It is active against mites, larval and adult stages of nematodes as well as against larvae of Dirofilaria immitis.

In certain terms these covers most of the parasites from round worm to heart worm.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Technically these female Russians will be loaners from other TFO members...so in a sense, they've been quarantined and kept watch on and show no signs of odd behavior.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
EricIvins said:

I would also worm a tort before putting it with others, bytes safe than sorry thing..

I work with a vet and under no circumstances should an antibiotic be used over a long period of time, one reason being damage to kidneys and liver,

If a fecal is done by a competent vet there would be no reason to use different wormers.

With proper husbandry does not get rid of a parasite that a animal already have in their intestines or bloods.
They do need treatment or death could/would be the result.
Panacur and flagyl are for round worm and hook worms, Prazaquiintal is one of the best combined with Milbemycin oxime. I have had brilliant results with this combination.

Praziquantel is an acylated pyrazino-isoquinoline derivative. Praziquantel is active against cestodes and trematodes. It modifies the permeability for calcium (influx of Ca2+) in the membranes of the parasite inducing an imbalance in the membrane structures, leading to membrane depolarisation and almost instantaneous contraction of the musculature (tetany), rapid vacuolization of the syncytial tegument and subsequent tegumental disintegration (blebbing), resulting in easier
expulsion from the gastrointestinal tract or death of the parasite

Milbemycin oxime belongs to the group of macrocyclic lactones, isolated from the
fermentation of Streptomyces hygroscopicus var. aureolacrimosus. It is active against mites, larval and adult stages of nematodes as well as against larvae of Dirofilaria immitis.

In certain terms these covers most of the parasites from round worm to heart worm.

When did I ever say Anti-Biotics should be used long term? Different Anti-Biotics and Wormers need to be used in conjunction with different treatment schedules to "clean" an animal out.......

This takes months.......Anyone who tells you one treatment is enough doesn't understand how the life cycles of these Parasites work.......

Again, the immune systems on these animals are there for a reason - They will cycle out Parasite loads quicker and more efficiently, without Renal damage or anything else associated with man made medicines......

I've acclimated both Tortoises and Turtles from around the with that simple concept and it works......

I've had to treat Tortoises/Turtles with every ailment under the sun, and it isn't as simple 1-2-3 and your done......

I keep my animals outside year round, and Fecals are well within acceptable limits of any Parasite I can find......These are multiple animals kept in one enclosure, and they all sure love to eat each others crap all day long.......Which brings me to the point of the matter - A healthy animal is going to stay healthy as long as husbandry is up to par - The immune system takes care of the rest - New animals that will be introduced to a established group should be quarantined, then added......As long as all the animals in question are functioning properly, there is no reason to medicate an animal or animal(s) without proper cause........Something I've learned from experience......

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My Tortoise Club will be having a de worming clinic this month on the fourth friday. I will post the details next week when I have my internet access back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have to interject my opinion too. I think you should have a fecal examination to see if there are parasite eggs and then deworm accordingly. Panacur kills the worms that you can see and Flagyl kills the protozoa-type parasites. You want Panacur. But you will need to dose again in about 10 days to catch the eggs that have subsequently hatched.

Again, in my opinion, de-worming a wild caught Russian tortoise is pretty important. They are captured by the thousands and piled up on each other in small areas. They are usually covered with poop and pee. They are kept in horrendous conditions.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
I have to interject my opinion too. I think you should have a fecal examination to see if there are parasite eggs and then deworm accordingly. Panacur kills the worms that you can see and Flagyl kills the protozoa-type parasites. You want Panacur. But you will need to dose again in about 10 days to catch the eggs that have subsequently hatched.

Again, in my opinion, de-worming a wild caught Russian tortoise is pretty important. They are captured by the thousands and piled up on each other in small areas. They are usually covered with poop and pee. They are kept in horrendous conditions.

I am on the same page!

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
emysemys said:

I completely agree with Yvonne. Here is a link to a website showing pictures of how these tortoises are transported and imported to the U.S. It is disgusting. I warn all that this website has very graphic and disturbing images of tortoise transportation.
http://www.socalreptiles.com/captivebred.htm

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I absolutely concur with Yvonne (and her micro-posse) on this one!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Quote "with multiple treatments of different wormers/Anti-Biotics over a long period of time to really "clean" an animal up" Anti biotics are not used to do a clean up, they are to fight infections not parasites.

The life cycle of a parasite, any parasite.

They start of as eggs, or fleas, the animal picks up the egg or flea from other fecal matter , where another animal has been or from another animal, then the animal passes, comes into contact or eats where this other infected animal has been and it swallows the egg,
when in the intestine the egg hatches into a lavae, of which turns into a worm, the animal passes the worms in it's feaces, the animal then comes into contact with this feaces again and the cycle starts again.

Fleas are also a host for worms, although this is not a problem with torts, but the life cycle of a flea is " the dog has a flea, the dog nips at the spot where the flea is, by this he swallows the flea, of which lays it's eggs and they turn into larvae in
the intestine where it will thrive into a worm,when the dog goes to the toilet the whole cycle starts over. To kill fleas is not a one of treatment but it takes 6 months to kill the cycle of a flea.
For reptiles to kill the cycle it only takes 10/14 days minimum, and a whole disinfection to be taken place in their enclosure, other wise the whole thing flares up again, this disinfection should be done for at least 2 days, any plants must be
taken out and thrown away,hides, food and water dishes boiled,
:)

EricIvins said:
FernandoM said:

Is that not necessary?

As long as they've been quarantined, and everything is in order, I wouldn't find it necessary at all.......

As most know I do a reptile holiday camp thing, my clients bring me their Reptile whilst on holiday,
But before taking them they have a health check and I always worm them before taking them into my house, whilst there I do fecal examinations,
Reason being is if the animal lives outside it is easy to pick up parasites from bird droppings or any other animal that has access to their area, even humans can carry hem on their shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.