Desperately need opinions about sex and behavior

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oops sorry I didn't even notice you couldn't see it. I will get that pic tomorrow, thanks

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You can't quite see the supracaudal (the rear most scute) in the second picture.

This tells you a lot more than the anal scutes or the tail for odd tortoises like this. If the tip curves inward = male, if it extends outward sort of like forming a V = female.

Is this the area you need to see?
2015-08-27_19.59.09.jpg

Obviously this is my confirmed male, not the tort in question... But as I follow the thread I'm trying to learn more. ;) and maybe clarifying the angle helps Barb, too

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this the area you need to see?
View attachment 145651

Obviously this is my confirmed male, not the tort in question... But as I follow the thread I'm trying to learn more. ;) and maybe clarifying the angle helps Barb, too

Yes that is what Neal is talking about. I didn't realize you couldn't see the actual acute. Her tail is in the way.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'm a wee bit confused. The supracaudal scute turns in for male?
This is my 7 yr old female. Is this what you mean by turning in? @Neal
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440733048.326950.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think you all know my opinion on sex II'm in favor of it. I don't think gender matters at this moment if they areaggressive you know its not going to stop

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think you all know my opinion on sex II'm in favor of it. I don't think gender matters at this moment make me dream aggressive you know its not going to stop

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
View attachment 145653
Now I'm really confused. Except for the tail yours looks a lot like Heathers confirmed male. Mines anal scutes and thickness of tail looks like my confirmed female. But length of tail more like a males. My luck, her supracaudal scute will flare to the side, ugh

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think you all know my opinion on sex II'm in favor of it. I don't think gender matters at this moment if they areaggressive you know its not going to stop
That's what I was trying to convey. It won't stop. Supervision won't stop it or prevent stress.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
View attachment 145653

There will be exceptions and oddities for each gender indicator (tail, anal scutes, supracaudal, etc...). Although your tortoises supracaudal curves inward on the end, it also extends far out from the body makung plenty of room for eggs to pass.

My initial thought is that it is female. I would expext the tail to be a lot longer for a male that size, but again, exceptions are common and I've guessed wrong my fair share of times. My request to view the supracaudal was so we could see all the peices of the puzzle. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There will be exceptions and oddities for each gender indicator (tail, anal scutes, supracaudal, etc...). Although your tortoises supracaudal curves inward on the end, it also extends far out from the body makung plenty of room for eggs to pass.

My initial thought is that it is female. I would expext the tail to be a lot longer for a male that size, but again, exceptions are common and I've guessed wrong my fair share of times. My request to view the supracaudal was so we could see all the peices of the puzzle. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
No you didn't confuse us, well me anyway. You actually taught me something I don't remember hearing before when trying to sex a tortoise. Now this tort, well, she is confusing me. Later today, I will be posting a pic of all three of mine in the same position. Might be easier to compare all three in one shot to try and figure this one out. Then again, she might just be too young or still enough behind that it isn't going to be determined yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
First pic, the one on left is the one in question next to my known male, isn't he too darn cute.
Next pic, my known male on left and known female on right, thanks Neal:)
Last pic all three from left one in question, middle know male right known female.