Desert Tortoise faces threat from its own refuge

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow, Will...and all of that was typed on a small key pad on a cell phone! I'm so impressed. :p

(Settle down folks...Will is my friend)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Excellent POV Will.

Does the state of Nevada have a CTTC like network, anyone know? I just do not get it. I know of many people who would adopt but for whatever reason or another have not been able to. I realize the CTTC is volunteers only and that is a big beef for me. For one, it is, I am sure overwhelming. Why id there no set amount for each CTTC from state or federal funds to help the CTTC chapters? There should be dammit. The type of monies that have been funneled to the Army, to these FIVE agencies, to be stewards of the desert tortoise, is mind boggling. I want to know why a sustainable plan was so hard to implement? Twenty years for this center, and it has come to this? While I understand studying gopherus is a bigger priority, do they not have a viable adoption entity. There are many good, educated or willing to be educated, people out there with large yards full of Bermuda grass and/or the new water district funded native plant landscapes who would welcome a tortoise to their home and garden, even as a registered owner. Registry should be a way to further education. To keep in touch and share.

Or how about this, even better, you MUST become a TFO member if you adopt a tortoise. Then we will all know for sure that the adopters would get the education, information and help they need as a new tortoise owner from fellow tortoise loving people who have more experience and more heart in sharing what works for them. Tortoises win.

Euthanasia should not be a bloody option with the type of money the taxpayer and developers have dished out. There are good, long term caregivers in the many tortoise lovers, old and new, out there.

I noticed that some AP versions of that article eliminated the two quotes I listed above. Hmmmmmmm. I hope this was not some weird ploy to get help. In which case, we have all been schnookered into action. The back pedaling makes me wonder much. However, the end justifies the means and maybe that whole "never let a disaster go to waste" mentality that government uses so effectively was part of this scare tactic.

There are enough people out there to adopt responsibly and for the long haul, I still firmly believe. No killings should be necessary. Period.
Killing is an excuse for no outreach and public education. How much money did they receive for that over the years? Anyone with the San Diego Zoo here that can tell us more?? Anyone, anyone ...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I just know that there are many folks across the country who would love to give these animals homes. I know I would give my eye teeth (almost) to have a couple, but yep much better to go the easy way out and kill them. :rolleyes: :( Thank goodness they allow the mustangs to be adopted out of their native ranges.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's why pres. Jefferson said every 20 yrs Evan a good Goverment needs to be over thrown . Like your house needs a spring cleaning

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You all got your emotions in check long enough for a thought experiment?

So, say a petition is successful, and some elected official, a Congressman, Senator, who ever, sign into law, or otherwise provokes that those animals not be euthanized, unless a trained professional, say a Vet, says one or another individual "must" be euthanized.

Now what?

That compound is I think 220 acres, there is a full clinical/animal evaluation lab, a series of pens, infrastructure like roads, utilities etc. in place. I think it is BLM land, and if cattle people are any indication I bet it can be leased for a $1.00 or two per acre. Utilities might be somewhat more than a large home, but with all the solar potential there I bet the actual bill could be near zero year round. Water, that's the scary deal for a place like this. I would think a plant to turn brown water into fresh could be sorta out for a large one time cost, and a much smaller maintenance cost.

So it seems that there is one giant relatively inexpensive place that could be used to train people on the skills required to manage wildlife issues.

One manager ~ 50K/year plus burden
Four 'techs' ~ at 30K/year plus burden
The rest students and volunteers with on site housing, or hosted by people who would, like what happens for so many Marine Turtle centers on the east coast. So a staff onsite < $200K/ year.

I don't see that as being so big a burden on our system.

How much is the TSA seeking to set up their exotics facility on the east cost?
WCS blows 50 million on one Gorilla exhibit, that in a perpetuity would run the DTCC forever, really.
SDZ who is the current on the ground management for the DTCC for the various Federal entities had a Brian Horne running their joint program with WCS and TSA, hmmm, almost like everything is in place.

But what do I know?

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Will, yes! Indeed, yes.

How to fund? Hmmmm, TFO Gopherus loving members and I think the Vegas strip has potential. I do not know why these folks have not partnered with people like Steve Wynn or Holly Madison or some of the Cirque de Soleil performers? There are so many animal lovers in Vegas who would step up. Senator Harry Reid needs to be contacted.

For now, this was posted on the CTTC Yahoo forum ...

Aug 26, 2013

Statement Regarding Media Reports on Status of Desert Tortoise at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center in Nevada

Recent media reports regarding the status of desert tortoises at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center (DTCC) have implied that the FWS is currently euthanizing desert tortoises at the facility. We want the public to know that the FWS is not euthanizing healthy tortoises.

The DTCC was established in 1990 to receive wild tortoises in harm's way from development and has taken in unwanted pets since 1996. Over 1,000 tortoises arrived at the DTCC each year, and approximately 98 percent of those are surrendered or stray pets. Science-based protocols developed for desert tortoises brought to the DTCC have been instrumental in helping the FWS maintain a healthy population of desert tortoise in the wild. Managing to recover desert tortoise, a threatened species, is a complex task in which all options need to be considered, and all risks and benefits to the species
must be assessed.

Many pet tortoises, unfortunately, are diseased or otherwise in poor health, and run the risk of spreading disease to wild tortoises. These tortoises cannot be relocated to the wild, or otherwise contribute to recovery of the desert tortoise population. Sometimes euthanasia of unhealthy pet tortoises is necessary, but only as last resort, and only after we evaluate other options. All healthy tortoises at the DTCC will be relocated to sites that will support the recovery of the species.

Progress is being made on translocating the healthy DTCC tortoise population to the wild. A Programmatic Environmental Assessment is complete, and tortoises are already being translocated by the FWS to an approved site in Trout Canyon, Nevada. Public scoping for a second translocation plan was completed Aug 22, 2013, for a proposed translocation area south of Coyote Springs, Nevada.

The Animal Foundation (TAF), Lied Animal Shelter continues to take in
unwanted pet tortoises from the public. However, the fact remains that the DTCC does not currently have the capacity or the funding to accept and care for additional tortoises.

Recovery of the desert tortoise in the wild continues to be our top
priority. However we are deeply concerned about the growing number of unwanted pets, and will continue to work with our partner agencies toward finding a suitable solution for tortoises that cannot be returned to the wild.

FWS

The letter has a number you can call if you want to help by taking in a
tortoise that might otherwise be euthanized. Contact the DTCC directly at 702-338-0104 and volunteer to take one.

San Diego Zoo: No euthanasia of threatened tortoises, despite AP report
Frank Lacey, The Examiner, August 26, 2013

The private agency that manages a Nevada facility dedicated to
conservation of the threatened desert tortoise has denied an Associated Press report that hundreds of the animals that are housed there may be euthanized in coming months as a result of reduced financial support from the federal government.

According to the AP report, which was published Sunday, the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center will be closed and the individual desert tortoises in its care will be killed.

The San Diego Zoo, which is the principal manager of the DTCC, denies that either of those outcomes is in the cards.

"Although we understand that, at any point, it's possible to lose federal funds, we manage the center and we don't have plans to do those things," Christine Simmons, a zoo spokesperson, said. "We remain committed to working with the desert tortoise."

Simmons explained that some tortoises - for example, those who are suffering from such severe medical problems that they cannot be rehabilitated or released back into the wild - may need to be euthanized.

"That's a small percentage of the overall population" served by DTCC, she said.

Gopherus agassizii are native to the deserts of western Arizona, eastern California, southern Nevada, and southwestern Utah. The reptile, which can grow to more than a foot in length, was added to the federal list of threatened and endangered species in 1990.

The desert tortoise is a member of a family of animals that has survived since the time of the dinosaurs. However, its desert habitat has been increasingly lost to development, especially in the Las Vegas valley. According to a website maintained by Conservation Centers for Species Survival, 90 percent of individuals in the species have been lost in the last three decades.

Only about 150,000 individuals of the species remain in the wild, according to the San Diego Zoo.

The DTCC is partially financed by funds provided by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which manages a large proportion of the public land within the desert tortoise's range.

BLM is allocating less money to the DTCC because it is receiving fewer
dollars from habitat mitigation fees paid by developers under section 7 of the Endangered Species Act.

"The funds go up and down, depending on what's happening with the economy," agency spokesperson Erica Haspiel-Szlosek said. She explained that housing development in the Las Vegas valley, a principal source of the money that flows into the habitat mitigation fund, has taken a hit during the recent recession.

Haspiel-Szlosek said that BLM wants, in any event, to stop caring for
"former pet tortoises" and would cease support for the DTCC when the
available section 7 funds run out sometime in 2014.

"Although we've been in that position for awhile, we don't feel that's
part of what we do," she said.

About one thousand individuals are brought to the Desert Tortoise
Conservation Center each year, according to the CCSS website.

Thank you Biologist Ileene Anderson!

Hello Merritt Clifton, We had grave concerns about the desert tortoise when we saw a similar article. So we talked to USFWS and they clarified that
they are NOT euthanizing any healthy desert tortoises, just unhealthy ones that due to their health status would be a threat to the recovery of the
population if released in the wild. Most if not all of these tortoises are people's pets that were turned into the DTCC when they could no longer care
for them. Unfortunately, despite great effort, the FWS/San Diego Zoo (they jointly run the DTCC) can not seem to find enough good homes for these
diseased desert tortoises. Please see the FWS PR at http://www.fws.gov/cno/press/release.cfm?rid=526 We knew the $$ was running out for the DTCC and
FWS has been releasing "healthy" tortoises into the wild, which we are keeping a close eye on.

If you can help find good homes for any of the "diseased" desert tortoise, I know FWS/San Diego Zoo would be very grateful. Tortoises make great pets
(not too big, not too small, although they are long lived 80-100 years in captivity). Their diseases do not affect humans, just other tortoise and
turtles, so they should be kept separated from other chelonians.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation. You can contact the DTCC directly at 702-338-0104. Best regards, Ileene

Ileene Anderson Biologist/Wildlands Desert Director Center for Biological Diversity 323-654-5943 (W) 323-490-0223 (C) www.BiologicalDiversity.org

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Adoption! Just do it. If you can. In Nevada ...

NEVADA folks, please consider helping via adoption if you can host a desert tortoise and meet its needs.
If TFO members have NEVADA friends, and they might be newbie tortoise keepers, but are interested, and can host a tortoise on their property, please encourage them to read/research TFO, or join, so we can help collectively with any question they may have. I personally feel every tortoise that may be adopted should have a TFO business card given to their new family as part of their swag. What no swag with all kinds of goodies and samples to adopting families? Swag not budgeted? Are you kidding me? Multi-millions and no swag. That is just wrong. I need to be queen.

Without further ado, here is info shared by Don from donsdeserttortoises.com (another excellent resource, by the way)...
Don Williams, president of CTTC Kern County posted this on the yahoo group.
Apparently the number above is not working ... folks have tried to call and it is not in operation now ... the 702-338-0104 ... MIA/Missing In Action

Try (702) 384-3333 as that is the number I have for what was formerly called the Lied Animal Shelter, which is where they turn the tortoises in
to. If nothing else, IF you are a Nevada resident, they can direct you to the center.
Other possible sources for direction:
Tortoise Group Hotline, 702-739-7113
Pet Desert Tortoise Pick-up Service at 702-488-9422
Clark County Wild Tortoise Assistance Line immediately at 702-593-9027

NOTE FOLKS: HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that Nevada is going to allow anyone out of the state to adopt one of these tortoises, just a thing about state lines, etc.
There are also areas in Utah where it is not allowed to have a captive believe there are still some areas in Nevada where it is also illegal to possess a captive, but not sure anymore, have kind of gotten out of the loop
in last couple of years. I know that the states where the desert tortoises are native DO NOT want any cross contamination of gene pools, definitely do not want disease transmission and that is just the way it is.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
But I still think they need help with adoptions. 1,000 a year is a lot.

I also think the truth is somewhere in the middle of all these denials and clarifications.

INACCURATE AP STORY CREATES HAVOC FOR TORTOISE CENTER

The Associated press has just published a very inaccurate story about Nevada’s Desert Tortoise Conservation Center (DTCC), which is run by the San Diego Zoo.

“We have no plans to euthanize healthy tortoises at the facility,” said Zoo spokesperson Christine Simmons.

Nor do they plan to close the center down, but the facility receives Federal funding and this a question that comes up every year.

The erroneous Associated press story stated, “Federal funds are running out at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center and officials plan to close the site and euthanize hundreds of the tortoises they’ve been caring for since the animals were added to the endangered species list in 1990.”

All photos courtesy San Diego Zoo

A press release from the US Fish and Wildlife service clarified the euthanasia reference, “Many pet tortoises, unfortunately, are diseased or otherwise in poor health, and run the risk of spreading disease to wild tortoises. These tortoises cannot be relocated to the wild, or otherwise contribute to recovery of the desert tortoise population. Sometimes euthanasia of unhealthy pet tortoises is necessary, but only as last resort, and only after we evaluate other options. All healthy tortoises at the DTCC will be relocated to sites that will support the recovery of the species.

“Progress is being made on translocating the healthy DTCC tortoise population to the wild. A Programmatic Environmental Assessment is complete, and tortoises are already being translocated by the FWS to an approved site in Trout Canyon, Nevada. Public scoping for a second translocation plan was completed Aug 22, 2013, for a proposed translocation area south of Coyote Springs, Nevada.”

Simmons pointed that they have released 1,500 desert tortoises back into the wild since they took over the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center in 2009.

“We are committed to working with the desert tortoise and would continue to look after them even if the facility closed,” she said.

By Roy L Hales|Tuesday, August 27, 2013|

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Admittedly, as a taxpayer and a gopherus fan, I am still doing some due diligence on this because as all y'all know, it chapped my hide ...

After a few days, and my undies are not in a wad as much any more, what I surmise is this: pet desert tortoises, captive bred desert tortoises, bad start in life desert tortoises are not a priority, never has been and we have been nice long enough. Now adopt them, or they die.

According to the US F&W Revised Recovery Plan for the Mojave Population of the Desert Tortoise dated May 2011, it - 159 million dollars - is all about recovery into the wild. I have not finished reading this 246 page document but in a quick scan, I cannot find the issue of tortoises needing homes and a plan being put in place, because they cannot be put back in the wild, any where. I have not been able to attach it for sharing/review. Maybe cause it is too large?

I think it is sad that an opportunity to partner with the People, the public, the very taxpayers who ante'd up the 159 million are not given the opportunity to be educated and to learn to be fellow stewards of this amazing species, not to mention state reptile for both Nevada and California. Public outreach seems to not be in the equation and only existed through private entity partnerships, and there has been some dissolution some where, and further, I have yet to realize any kind of budget share evidence which would have been a good thing.

The research in to this will continue. I find it hard to believe that the AP would put something out that was so whacked and not the case. I agree, Cowboy Ken. truth is somewhere down that middle line. Needless to say, it was a major PR nightmare for the partners. Again, a multi-agency platform of five, 159 millions and there should not be now such an extreme need to find homes for 1,000 disposable gopherus if a sustainable partnership/outreach plan had been implemented long ago. What? they needed 169 million to do so?

Jaded.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In February 2009, the Center for Biological Diversity, an environmental advocacy group, announced plans to sue the United States Fish and Wildlife Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for violations of the Endangered Species Act. The Center contends the Coyote Springs development and resultant loss of water resources and habitat would harm the desert tortoise and potentially hasten the extinction of the Moapa dace, both endangered species. The Fish and Wildlife Service and Nevada's water authority responded that they, too, are interested in protecting the Moapa dace, a small fish living in the Muddy River north of Las Vegas.[4]

So the general area that is "suppose" to be part of their translocation area is in danger as well...hmm. This is A typical, the area also was a prime home track / golf course master planned community that is at a stand still ....so, lets say the funds get going and the master planned community comes to fruition...well, we all know that the humans win out for the luxury homes and golf course in the desert...well, that is if the water rights issues ever get hammered out...lol...I apologize..but this is and continues to be a joke.

We know how well the prior translocation charades went;

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2008/desert-tortoise-10-10-2008.html

http://www.mojavedesertblog.com/2010/03/desert-tortoise-translocation.html

http://www.hcn.org/issues/45.13/can...-the-desert-tortoises-slow-and-steady-decline

There are alot of human created perils that this species faces (along with a load of other creatures for that matter) just merely to survive...each and every time that folks allow their two desert torts to be housed together in their yards and create hatchlings --those hatchlings are subjected to be the ones marked as potential unhealthy pet surrenders--and those are the first torts to be targeted when these organizations "clean house" and bring their now captive populations down to a manageable number (which means an amount that can be cared for by reduced staff and reduced material offered to feed and house and upkeep on their captive environments....out of the "healthy" ones there will be some used for experiments/testing and then there will be the even fewer that may actually get to feel their desert wildland under their feet again...but very very few..out of those, they will be marked and a radio attached to their shells---how crazy this thought is especially since we know they burrow their homes to fit their shells precisely huh...so how stressful will their lives be with this thing adhered to their shell?

There is such a line of hands being held out all in the name of this species and so many people are making so much money and furthering their careers at the expense of this species...these are the reasons we need to learn to leave things in balance, I mean I know people need to live and create their own communities...however, we also have a huge variety of areas that we can use in lieu of these habitat specific areas and it is so damn self centered and human like of us to insist that we can just move em....out of sight out of mind.

I hope people who do not know the plight of this species (again, along with so many others) really educate themselves...just because we humans can dominate does not mean we should we simply are not qualified to make for ever life altering decisions based on our minimal skills...

kickapoocandy

5 Year Member
Tom said:
So nobody can touch them. You can't build on your own property. I we do ALLOW you to build on your own property, you have to first pay us thousands of dollars for our tortoise sanctuary, and now we are going to go ahead and kill them by the hundreds, since we didn't plan things out very well. On purpose. But don't you dare let them captive breed or try to rescue them from harm. THAT would be illegal...

All they need is a million a year to stay open? Why doesn't Bloomberg just send them some money? The dude wouldn't even miss a million a year.

IF YOUR AS MAD AS I AM, IT'S TIME TO WRITE LETTERS OR START A PETITION. THAT'S WHY I POSTED THIS INFO HERE FOR EVERYONE. THIS IS A BIG TRAGEDY. SUCH A WASTE. CANDY

kickapoocandy

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Flush with mortgage backed securities cash in 2009.
Fair weather friends .... count them, FIVE, agencies.
Five partners and we have to read that AP wire saying it was all a moot point. Appalling.

Here's their 2009 press release:

The Mojave desert tortoise is a threatened species living right here in the Mojave Desert, just a stone’s throw from the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. Aside from their amazing adaptations for living in the desert, they are a keystone species that other animals depend upon for safety and protection.

Burrowed Time

While desert tortoises spend 95 percent of their lives in burrows that they dig deep in the soil, these burrows also serve to protect other species from predators and harsh weather conditions. In addition, tortoises disperse seeds from the native plants they eat, and as they digest, they repopulate the desert using the seeds from those plants, thereby providing food and shade to other desert animals when the plants grow. It is no understatement to say that without desert tortoises in the desert, we have no desert.

Sadly, wild populations of Mojave desert tortoises are estimated to have declined as much as 90 percent in the past 20 years; it is estimated that there are only about 150,000 wild Mojave desert tortoises remaining in critical habitat in the wild.

Live and Let Live

Although desert tortoises can live to be 50 to 100 years old, they have low reproductive success, so few eggs hatch each year in the wild, and of those that do, not many hatchlings survive to adulthood. With many threats to their survival, including predators, habitat destruction, disease, and the illegal pet trade, until recently, little hope remained that these animals that have been on the planet for 200 million years would persist through another century.

But today, we have a renewed hope for the success and continuation of Mojave desert tortoises.

In March 2009, the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research, as a member of the Conservation Centers for Species Survival (C2S2), began a partnership to operate the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center (DTCC) along with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW).

The DTCC is the only facility of its kind, serving as a drop-off location for unwanted pet desert tortoises and a future hub for interdisciplinary research to help save not only Mojave desert tortoises but their native habitat. We are the only authorized organization permitted to take in these animals, rehabilitate them and legally release them to the wild through a structured research program to ensure their success.

Recovery Plan

One of the biggest issues we face at the DTCC is the pet desert tortoise problem, which is fueled by the backyard breeding of pet desert tortoises. There are thousands of desert tortoises being kept as pets in the Las Vegas Valley while wild populations are suffering from diminishing numbers every year. To help address this problem, the San Diego Zoo and its partners are in the process of changing the role of the Center from that of a transfer-and-holding facility to one that will support range-wide recovery efforts for the desert tortoise through conservation research, participation in on-the-ground recovery actions, training of biologists, and public education specifically aimed at reducing the numbers of pet desert tortoises, while substantially increasing the numbers of wild tortoises living in the Mojave Desert.

Release Me

To that end, this spring we released 30 desert tortoises to a protected habitat in southern Nevada, and all of them were fitted with radiotransmitters prior to release. Two full-time staff track these tortoises on a daily basis and record not only their locations, but their behaviors and activities. We selected the best habitat available for the release and anticipate great success, in part due to the extensive forage available that resulted from our exceptional winter rains. These tortoises will be followed for two years, and the data we collect will help to direct our future releases. With this exciting new research, we are taking the first step in learning how to recover wild desert tortoise populations.

I notice that the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research, member of the Conservation Centers for Species Survival isn't mentioned in this plan to kill hundreds of the Tortoises. They have dropped the ball also and need to hear about it. -Candy

kickapoocandy

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
I'm a reporter at the LA Times, and a keeper of two DTs. I think this story warrants further attention, and will discuss it with my editors this week. If anyone on the forum has a personal contact at the conservation center, please PM me.

No contacts there, just wanted to say THANK YOU!. This is an endangered species we're talking about. I do Wolf Advocating mainly. Glad I came to the right place to get some attention for the Tortoises. Will look forward to reading an article in the LA Times. I'm in Long Beach. Good luck with your editor. Candy [email protected]

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

kickapoocandy

5 Year Member
Check your first link to whitehouse.gov, I got "page not found" and searching for the word tortoise didn't find it either. Candy

kickapoocandy said:
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Flush with mortgage backed securities cash in 2009.
Fair weather friends .... count them, FIVE, agencies.
Five partners and we have to read that AP wire saying it was all a moot point. Appalling.

Here's their 2009 press release:

The Mojave desert tortoise is a threatened species living right here in the Mojave Desert, just a stone’s throw from the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. Aside from their amazing adaptations for living in the desert, they are a keystone species that other animals depend upon for safety and protection.

Burrowed Time

While desert tortoises spend 95 percent of their lives in burrows that they dig deep in the soil, these burrows also serve to protect other species from predators and harsh weather conditions. In addition, tortoises disperse seeds from the native plants they eat, and as they digest, they repopulate the desert using the seeds from those plants, thereby providing food and shade to other desert animals when the plants grow. It is no understatement to say that without desert tortoises in the desert, we have no desert.

Sadly, wild populations of Mojave desert tortoises are estimated to have declined as much as 90 percent in the past 20 years; it is estimated that there are only about 150,000 wild Mojave desert tortoises remaining in critical habitat in the wild.

Live and Let Live

Although desert tortoises can live to be 50 to 100 years old, they have low reproductive success, so few eggs hatch each year in the wild, and of those that do, not many hatchlings survive to adulthood. With many threats to their survival, including predators, habitat destruction, disease, and the illegal pet trade, until recently, little hope remained that these animals that have been on the planet for 200 million years would persist through another century.

But today, we have a renewed hope for the success and continuation of Mojave desert tortoises.

In March 2009, the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research, as a member of the Conservation Centers for Species Survival (C2S2), began a partnership to operate the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center (DTCC) along with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW).

The DTCC is the only facility of its kind, serving as a drop-off location for unwanted pet desert tortoises and a future hub for interdisciplinary research to help save not only Mojave desert tortoises but their native habitat. We are the only authorized organization permitted to take in these animals, rehabilitate them and legally release them to the wild through a structured research program to ensure their success.

Recovery Plan

One of the biggest issues we face at the DTCC is the pet desert tortoise problem, which is fueled by the backyard breeding of pet desert tortoises. There are thousands of desert tortoises being kept as pets in the Las Vegas Valley while wild populations are suffering from diminishing numbers every year. To help address this problem, the San Diego Zoo and its partners are in the process of changing the role of the Center from that of a transfer-and-holding facility to one that will support range-wide recovery efforts for the desert tortoise through conservation research, participation in on-the-ground recovery actions, training of biologists, and public education specifically aimed at reducing the numbers of pet desert tortoises, while substantially increasing the numbers of wild tortoises living in the Mojave Desert.

Release Me

To that end, this spring we released 30 desert tortoises to a protected habitat in southern Nevada, and all of them were fitted with radiotransmitters prior to release. Two full-time staff track these tortoises on a daily basis and record not only their locations, but their behaviors and activities. We selected the best habitat available for the release and anticipate great success, in part due to the extensive forage available that resulted from our exceptional winter rains. These tortoises will be followed for two years, and the data we collect will help to direct our future releases. With this exciting new research, we are taking the first step in learning how to recover wild desert tortoise populations.

I notice that the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research, member of the Conservation Centers for Species Survival isn't mentioned in this plan to kill hundreds of the Tortoises. They have dropped the ball also and need to hear about it. -Candy

HERE IS THE LINK TO THEIR WEB PAGE. http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/ICR/purpose