Delaware's First Cactus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
t_mclellan sent me what looks like a life time supply of cactus! I served it up yesterday, and everyone went nuts for it! It's so awesome!
Thanks again Tom! :D

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Delaware thanks you too!:D

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Like I said, I can fit a lot into those "If it fits, It ships" boxes!
With any luck the pieces you plant will keep Delaware busy for a long time!
& thanks for the clover.

Remember folks, You too can get some of these 100% TORTOISE FRIENDLY spineless Prickly Pear pads! (say that 3 time fast)
There cheep, CHeep. CHEEP! Heck we're givin'em away!
On a serious note, If ya want some PM me. We can do something.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You mean they don't have any spines at all on them? The ones I have across the alley from me do and they're big and kind of hard. Kayti, Delaware looks so happy does he have a hard time at all eating the skin of that Cactus? I almost always will cut some off for Dale because I figured it was too hard for him to eat? :(

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
No need to cut the skin off. Just slice the whole pad very small and thin unless your tortoise can manage to bite off chunks (for squash and cactus my tort can't bite off a chunk for example).

So are there naturally no spines on these, have they been removed, or are there only the easy to remove spines and thus they are called spineless?

Remember than although these cactus pads are a great part of the diet for desert torts (nutritious and found in the wild), they are very sweet (the only "fruit" I would feed my Russian) and can cause loose stools and such, so I personally believe these should be fed in smaller amounts, such as a bite or two daily on top of the food, or a larger amount once a week. I don't think they should be a huge percentage of the diet such as greens/weeds. You can plant a pad to harvest from. If you keep it dry in the fridge you may be able to get it to last awhile (wrap in paper towels and replace the towels to keep it dry).

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
t_mclellan said:
Remember folks, You too can get some of these 100% TORTOISE FRIENDLY spineless Prickly Pear pads! (say that 3 time fast)
There cheep, CHeep. CHEEP! Heck we're givin'em away!

lol!

I planted a few big old ones in my yard, and then a few smaller ones in pots in my house, and stuffed the rest in my fridge. Do you think I could freeze them? My fridge is kind of full with 4, soon to be 5 people's junk, but the freezer is almost empty.

I'm thinking these would make a good once a week or once every two week treat, is that a good amount?

Also, I think they make quite an attractive house plant! :)

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Those pads are also tasty chopped and fried with scrambled eggs (for humans.)

franeich

5 Year Member
Dont freeze them. I chopped some up and froze them and when I tried to defrost a piece all the water came out of it and it was like a noodle.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like he was really enjoying his new food item. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oo I need to find some good cactus pads for Nelson. I found some at a nearby grocery store but they always look so floppy and not fresh :(
I might have to buy some from you Tom!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is a beatiful cactus plant I would estimate it's age at around 20 to 25 years based on the base measurement.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Holy crap that's a huge cactus! I imagined it as many small ones with just the green part poking out of the sand.
I hope mine grows! Maybe someday I'll have a tree like that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.