Rivenrock cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We just received our order for nopalea grande cactus after seeing the post here about their discounted price at this time of the year at Rivenrock. We ordered a 50lb box for $50 plus shipping (which was $37). At less than $2/lb that is a good buy for those of us who cannot grow cactus in our yard. John Dicus is one of the owners and very friendly. He actually sent ours with a self addressed stamped envelope for payment - how trusting! We received the shipment without having paid for it beforehand. I think it is because paying online would have charged the regular price and this is the discount price for the lower grade cactus (our torts don't care about blemishes on the cactus skin;-) ). We just emailed him and told him we wanted it for tortoises.

Overall, we wanted everyone to know that we highly recommend Rivenrock for cactus orders. The cactus looks amazing! I thought it might be scarred, but really it looks better than anything we've purchased in the local grocery stores. There are no spines that require removal before feeding. And 50lbs of cactus - what were we thinking? We're trying cactus omlette for ourselves this morning. :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks a lot for the info.

Just to make sure, are you talking about that site http://www.rivenrock.com/nopaleagrande.htm

Where do you keep the cactus, inside in pots?

I am sorry if the question might sound stupid but I want to buy cactus for Hermy, If we do so, we would have to keep them inside during the winter.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Isa said:
Thanks a lot for the info.

Where do you keep the cactus, inside in pots?

I am sorry if the question might sound stupid but I want to buy cactus for Hermy, If we do so, we would have to keep them inside during the winter.

We have some that we have previously planted in a pot with dirt specially for cactus (Home Depot, Walmart has it). You can find instructions for planting the cactus on the web. Just don't water it for several weeks or it will rot (we did that at first because it seems so wrong to not water a newly potted plant). The first set died. But this next set we planted and left alone, placed in a sunny place in the yard, and it has rooted so now we water it occasionally. Hopefully it will continue to do well indoors this winter. We'll see.

However, the shipment from Rivenrock we purchased for food only. It is supposed to stay good if kept cool (like basement not fridge) for weeks to months. Having not stored this much, we don't know what will actually happen.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I love cactus omlettes How did you like yours? It's true you can keep them like pumpkings in a dark cool place for a long time. If you pull a pad off of a plant you want to let it dry for about a week or so before planting it. For some reason they seem to do better the more you neglect them.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.