dehydration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Crown Point, Indiana
Hey! So since i got my tortoise (last saturday) i haven't really seen him drink. I soak him everyday, and his humidity in the enclosure is normally around 50% or so. He has water available, but he doesn't really like to go in it. Im afraid of him getting dehydrated. How can i tell if he is? Also what's a way to keep his water dish warm in the enclosure. I put it by the heat lamp yet it still seems to always be freezing cold? Any ideas? :3 Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They sometimes drink during the soak and you just don't notice it. When mine drinks in his soak, if your not paying close attention, you don't know that is what he us doing. You can also spray his food, assuming you feed some greens, with water just before feeding. I rinse the greens just before I feed them.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I spray the spring mix with water for added moisture

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Oh, i see pulling a sneak and drink? hahaha, okay! and yes, normally i rinse the greens but the the time they get to his dish, they almost dry, so i'll start spritzing them. :p thanks!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its getting a lot of water from the spring mix, you can wash off the spring mix and spray with extra water.
BUT i wouldn't worry you are soaking regularly and keeping the humidity up :)

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Jacob said:
Its getting a lot of water from the spring mix, you can wash off the spring mix and spray with extra water.
BUT i wouldn't worry you are soaking regularly and keeping the humidity up :)

Oh ok thanks for the reassurance! :p
I knew that the spring mix was giving him a lil bit of water, but i was unsure if it was enough. ;)

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
One of the signs of dehydration will occur when the tort passes urates. If its coming out milky, he should be fine. If they are coming out gritty or chunky, its a sign of dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.