Dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I posted previously that I was dealing with a parasite problem with my two Russian torts. One of them passed quite a bit of parasite material after being treated and soon after became much more active. He started eating well again and quickly put weight on. I did notice though that he was also having what appeared to be diarrhea. Once the parasites had passed, the diarrhea stopped and everything seemed normal. He had always frequently entered the water dish so I wasn't typically doing forsed soaks. However, I notised last week that his eyes were watery and he was becoming quite lethargic. Some quick research told me this was a symptom of dehydration. I've been soaking for as long as he'll tolerate (about 15 minutes or so) every morning since. The first day he drank a ton of water. Ever since he's drank much less but his eyes quickly improved. He perks right up when I pick him up and he was out and about searching for food yesterday. He still seems a bit lethargic at times and I haven't noticed him urinate or pass urates. I see it in the enclosure but I can't tell which tortoise it came from. I haven't seen him pass anything in the soak though.

I want to make sure he doesn't develop stones or any other problems associated with this. I'll continue to soak daily but is there anything else I should be doing? Do I need to consult the vet at this point?

Thanks!

Patrick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick:

How big are your tortoises...full grown?

I would continue the forced soaks for a while yet. When you did the de-worming, was it a one time only thing, or did you follow up in 10 days with another dose? You need to re de-worm them after about 10 days to catch the worm eggs that have hatched sine the original de-worming.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
emysemys said:
Hi Patrick:

How big are your tortoises...full grown?

I would continue the forced soaks for a while yet. When you did the de-worming, was it a one time only thing, or did you follow up in 10 days with another dose? You need to re de-worm them after about 10 days to catch the worm eggs that have hatched sine the original de-worming.

They aren't full grown. They are both under 2 years old. The one I'm describing is a little smaller than my palm (no fingers). The other is nearly twice that size. They did get the two doses of treatment and their enclosure was properly cleaned multiple times.

Are there any symptoms I should look for to alert me to stones or anything else? If I don't see him pass urates soon should I consult the vet?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't think you have to worry about stones. Just keep soaking them to keep them hydrated. It takes a while for stones to form, and a while of dehydration. It doesn't happen overnight.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
emysemys said:
I really don't think you have to worry about stones. Just keep soaking them to keep them hydrated. It takes a while for stones to form, and a while of dehydration. It doesn't happen overnight.

Great. Thanks!

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
It's been about a week of daily soaking. The tortoise is still very lethargic (though I'm only seeing him in the early morning). His eyes aren't so watery anymore but they do seem slightly puffy. He doesn't open them much in the morning but when he does they seem to only be partially open. He also seems to be rubbing them quite a bit. He crawls out of his cave first thing in the morning and sleeps under the light. Most of what he does in the morning (which isn't much), he does with his eyes closed, including soaking and drinking. I'm hoping he becomes more alert during the day but I'm just not there to see it. I'll try to get a better idea tomorrow.

I just wanted check in and make sure I'm still doing the right things. Could there be some other issue that's affecting his eyes?

Thanks!

Patrick

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pdelpizzo said:
It's been about a week of daily soaking. The tortoise is still very lethargic (though I'm only seeing him in the early morning). His eyes aren't so watery anymore but they do seem slightly puffy. He doesn't open them much in the morning but when he does they seem to only be partially open. He also seems to be rubbing them quite a bit. He crawls out of his cave first thing in the morning and sleeps under the light. Most of what he does in the morning (which isn't much), he does with his eyes closed, including soaking and drinking. I'm hoping he becomes more alert during the day but I'm just not there to see it. I'll try to get a better idea tomorrow.

I just wanted check in and make sure I'm still doing the right things. Could there be some other issue that's affecting his eyes?
Thanks!

Patrick

Possibly a Vitamin A deficiency...try to get both torts to eat shredded carrots, mixed with other greens, about 1-2X a week.

Also, try soaking him in Pedialyte...won't hurt him and might help...I saved some baby iguanas and bearded dragons that were severely dehydrated w/ that stuff.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I came across an article about photo-kerato-conjunctivitis that discussed very similar symptoms. I'm not using a flourescent bulb like what was discussed in the article but is it possible I'm dealing with this condition? I'm using the ZooMed PowerSun UVB 100W bulb. It's just over a year old and I'm waiting for a recently purchased replacement to come in the mail.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pdelpizzo said:
I came across an article about photo-kerato-conjunctivitis that discussed very similar symptoms. I'm not using a flourescent bulb like what was discussed in the article but is it possible I'm dealing with this condition? I'm using the ZooMed PowerSun UVB 100W bulb. It's just over a year old and I'm waiting for a recently purchased replacement to come in the mail.

No idea, but how about getting both out into the sunlight for at least 20 minutes, 2-3X a week? No light made is as good for torts, etc., as natural sunlight, and, as long as they can get out of it, via some sort of shelter, there's no danger to them.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Terry Allan Hall said:
pdelpizzo said:

No idea, but how about getting both out into the sunlight for at least 20 minutes, 2-3X a week? No light made is as good for torts, etc., as natural sunlight, and, as long as they can get out of it, via some sort of shelter, there's no danger to them.

I take them out as much as possible, mostly weekends. It's hard to get home early enough during the week but I do it when I can. They do get out every week at least once. They are too small to leave outside full time.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I got home a bit earlier today and the tortoise seemed very alert as soon as I woke him up. I took him outside in the sun and he ran all around and ate quite a bit. Here are some photos of his eyes. They look much better than they did last week. Maybe the issues I've been noticing in the morning have just been a reluctance to wake up! I often have the same problem.

In all seriousness, let me know if you think he looks healthy.

Thanks!

IMG_1318.JPGIMG_1319.JPGIMG_1312.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
build a secure oudoor pen with a top on it... they do much better outside.. you can bring them in at night...

Status
Not open for further replies.