Dehydrated tort

jnirvello

Location (City and/or State)
fort myers, florida
so lately I’ve been curious to know a dehydrated sulcata might be. His neck is a little flaky, he still goes to the bathroom and he eats and he’s also very active when he’s outside. But when he’s in his house - he just sleeps for the most part. He’s less than a year old and I still soak him daily. Any thoughts?

Bambam1989

East Texas
so lately I’ve been curious to know a dehydrated sulcata might be. His neck is a little flaky, he still goes to the bathroom and he eats and he’s also very active when he’s outside. But when he’s in his house - he just sleeps for the most part. He’s less than a year old and I still soak him daily. Any thoughts?
The flakey skin could just be shedding. Thick urates are a big sign of dehydration. How is the humidity and temps in the enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is fine, what is the humidity? How big of an enclosure? What's the temps? What type of lighting? Is it bright enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are perfectly fine... I’m just worried because he sleeps all day. I know it’s common in baby’s tho

What one person thinks is perfectly fine, another thinks is too high or too low. What are your four temperatures and what is your ambient humidity in the enclosure?

Many people don't light the inside enclosure bright enough, and sometimes that will contribute to lethargy. Sleeping is normal for babies and adults, but how much is enough and how much is too much is the question.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
The enclosure temp is never lower than 80-82. His body temp is always higher than 85 and the humidity is around 80ish. He has natural light from a window as well as a zoomed blue day light lamp and I was told a household light bulb is fine so he has that too. He has about 120 Watts of light

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
The enclosure temp is never lower than 80-82. His body temp is always higher than 85 and the humidity is around 80ish. He has natural light from a window as well as a zoomed blue day light lamp and I was told a household light bulb is fine so he has that too. He has about 120 Watts of light
Tortoises can't absorb the proper UVA and UVB amounts through a glass window or even through screen. Do you take him out once or twice a week to get some sun? How long have you had him?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Yes that gets to about 97
Another possibility is that the enclosure does not feel secure, do you have any sight barriers? An actual picture of the enclosure would help us to identify anything that may be changed to make him more comfortable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes that gets to about 97

Everything sounds good so far. What did he weight when you got him and what does he weigh now?

What is the humidity in the indoor enclosure and is it a closed chamber or open top?

Does he have a humid hide?