Tortoise been in shell

STortois99

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My tortoise has been in his hide for a while and I took the hide away to check on him and he was fully tucked in his shell and he’s been like that for a few minutes since. He’s usually very active so I don’t know what he’s doing, could this wood chip by his leg have something to do with it

Attachments

• IMG_9664.jpeg
    IMG_9664.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9665.jpeg
    IMG_9665.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Did you try to soak him in shallow warm water. See if he comes out so you can look at the wood chip.

STortois99

Arizona
Did you try to soak him in shallow warm water. See if he comes out so you can look at the wood chip.
He came out after a few more minutes but I’ve noticed once he sees me or movement he goes into his shell like normal but it takes him a lot longer to come back out.
Did you try to soak him in shallow warm water. See if he comes out so you can look at the wood chip

STortois99

Arizona
Poor baby he's a big chicken like mine. When they grow up they will be more confident and brave. Just make sure he has a hide or two.
Poor baby he's a big chicken like mine. When they grow up they will be more confident and brave. Just make sure he has a hide or two.
Yep he has two hides but I’m just confused because he isn’t usually as afraid but I’m thinking it could be from the incident with the wood chip yesterday..

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please tell us about how you keep him - enclosure, lighting, substrate, temperatures, humidity and diet? How often is he handled? Are there other animals around?