Decor and eating

Savannah Neal

Location (City and/or State)
Near St. Louis
What plants can I put into my baby tortoise enclosure? Ones that she can nibble on when she wants too and that will make the place look more natural, any suggestions?

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
When my grass is time to be cut in back yard I take scissors and cut it and toss it on top the cypress mulch substrate along with strings of St Augustine grass... she loves hiding in it. When it dries up I take it out and put more, usually 3 to 4 days, my back yard is not treated with any weed control so it’s safe. Since I’ve been doing that she dug her own hide underneath her actual hide about 5 inches deep... the mulch substrate is about 1 foot deep.

Savannah Neal

Near St. Louis
When my grass is time to be cut in back yard I take scissors and cut it and toss it on top the cypress mulch substrate along with strings of St Augustine grass... she loves hiding in it. When it dries up I take it out and put more, usually 3 to 4 days, my back yard is not treated with any weed control so it’s safe. Since I’ve been doing that she dug her own hide underneath her actual hide about 5 inches deep... the mulch substrate is about 1 foot deep.

Thank you that was very helpful

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises don't appreciate all of the time that we spend in making their enclosures look tidy and nice.
Be prepared to periodically replace a plant or two as they get crushed, trampled and otherwise destroyed.
I use small, bushy plants like spider plants. They're resilient and usually don't get chomped on.
Most small potted plants we find at stores are grown on a cocktail of pesticides and fertilizers. Its probably best that they don't get eaten.