Death from the sky....

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
out for a walk in the sun; Titan (the tortoise) was about 10 feet away when Ahab (the dog) gave a low growl and jumped in his direction. I never saw it coming; a hawk was swooping in to make a grab; and Ahab jumped in the way barking; scaring the predator off. Special treats for Ahab tonight! This is second approach from a bird of prey this week; first it was a turkey vulture; this time a cooper's hawk. I know you are supposed to separate your tortoises from your dogs....and I was closely watching the tortoise; but not the sky. But if dog had not been around; I can only think this would have turned out much differently.IMG_1483 (2).JPG IMG_1363 (2).JPG

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
When Charlie was that size, I was blissfully unaware of the dangers from the sky. We used to take walks on our ranch. Other times I let him graze in an abandoned pigpen. I guess the trees kept the predators from seeing him. We were very, very lucky.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Atta boy Ahab! I had a white shepherd as a boy living on a ranch, he would trot just ahead of me and point out all the snakes near the path. Great dogs.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Don't you have a predator-proof enclosure for Titan?

eric joranson

Don't you have a predator-proof enclosure for Titan?
I do actually; but it's too big to move without help' and it was a sunny day; 80 F; and there was a field of clover I was letting him graze in under what I thought was my protection....but I never thought to look up; even after a turkey vulture making a close pass a few days earlier. (he was in enclosure that time; and was amazed that both times tortoise must have seen shadow or predator; but had pulled in as tight to his shell as he could. There are big snakes; raccoons; coyotes; fox; and even wild turkeys that I keeping an eye out for. Dog is really good about keeping those at bay as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool story, but I thought I'd share a little info…

A turkey vulture won't touch live prey, even if it is a small, slow moving tortoise.

Cooper's Hawks are primarily bird predators, not that they wouldn't take advantage of a free meal, but it would have to be an awfully small tortoise to be picked up by a little Cooper's hawk.

I'd be more concerned with ravens or red tail hawks.

Rachael403

NE, USA

A turkey vulture won't touch live prey, even if it is a small, slow moving tortoise.

Cooper's Hawks are primarily bird predators, not that they wouldn't take advantage of a free meal, but it would have to be an awfully small tortoise to be picked up by a little Cooper's hawk.

I had no idea, thanks for the info. Its interesting the things we learn on here.

eric joranson

there are a pair of cooper's nesting about 100 yards from my back door; and watched them grab a fairly large western ring neck snake the other morning. As for the turkey vultures; I worked for several years in a Midwestern raptor rehab. We used to get the rats(frozen) to feed them from the genetic and other university labs. They had removed what they needed; and if not used for medication work; we would get what was left. The vultures grabbed and swallowed just a quickly as any full grown owl or larger hawk. And some of those rats weighed 300-500 grams. My tortoise is just at 210 grams. No I trust no raptors' especially in nesting season...they are meat hungry and opportunists. As for my dog; he loves to chase turkeys; and robins; so this was just another feathered ball flying in; and since I don't believe altruism exists in nature; I can say it was probably all just coincidental. But where is the fun in that? Go with the "lassie to the rescue" story every time. It's alot more magical. PS; no ravens but almost as big crows; and plenty of red tails;and sharp tailed hawks;great horned and barred owls; and to top the list bald eagles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
there are a pair of cooper's nesting about 100 yards from my back door; and watched them grab a fairly large western ring neck snake the other morning. As for the turkey vultures; I worked for several years in a Midwestern raptor rehab. We used to get the rats(frozen) to feed them from the genetic and other university labs. They had removed what they needed; and if not used for medication work; we would get what was left. The vultures grabbed and swallowed just a quickly as any full grown owl or larger hawk. And some of those rats weighed 300-500 grams. My tortoise is just at 210 grams. No I trust no raptors' especially in nesting season...they are meat hungry and opportunists. As for my dog; he loves to chase turkeys; and robins; so this was just another feathered ball flying in; and since I don't believe altruism exists in nature; I can say it was probably all just coincidental. But where is the fun in that? Go with the "lassie to the rescue" story every time. It's alot more magical. PS; no ravens but almost as big crows; and plenty of red tails;and sharp tailed hawks;great horned and barred owls; and to top the list bald eagles.

Great horned owls would eat a medieval dragon if given the chance! Those things are bad a$$. I'm terrified one is going to jump out and grab my hawk one day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a hawk here that screams almost all day long (but especially when I go outside), making me think there's a nest somewhere. I don't know what kind it is. I find mouse parts - tail end sections, heads, etc. - all over in the desert tortoise yard. I had been thinking a cat was leaving them there, but lately have wondered if the hawk has left them. But a hawk would be eating the whole mouse, yes? The desert tortoise yard (where the mouse parts are found) is right next to a utility pole where I've seen the hawk sitting occasionally.

out for a walk in the sun; Titan (the tortoise) was about 10 feet away when Ahab (the dog) gave a low growl and jumped in his direction. I never saw it coming; a hawk was swooping in to make a grab; and Ahab jumped in the way barking; scaring the predator off. Special treats for Ahab tonight! This is second approach from a bird of prey this week; first it was a turkey vulture; this time a cooper's hawk. I know you are supposed to separate your tortoises from your dogs....and I was closely watching the tortoise; but not the sky. But if dog had not been around; I can only think this would have turned out much differently.View attachment 206825 View attachment 206827

I have never worried about my tortoises and the hawks. I've always thought hawks were species specific eaters??? But I love your hawk/dog story. And what a pretty dog.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's one good dog you have. Glad he was out with you and all is well. Don't forget to always take the dog.