Cause of death

Bork4921

Location (City and/or State)
MO
Hello,
I've had my baby sulcata for about 3.5 months now and when I got him he was about 3 weeks old, from someone who did reptile conventions and was selling them on Craigslist. He was super healthy and energetic starting out, never once scared of anything. Lately it's become winter and he's become a lot more legarthic.
But he has still been fine.
From when I first got him he has had a cool side of cage temp of 80 and a basking zone of 95 to 100. He has coconut fiber bedding and is fed fresh washed lettuce of various types every day
The person i got him from explicitly told me not to give him a water dish or baths till he got older and that the fresh lettuce would provide him enough water. After reading on here after 1 month I started giving him soaks 3 to 4 times per week.
(Context, I'm in college)
I had to travel home for thanksgiving but I made the heat in the car hot enough to keep him at 90 for travel and upon arriving home he got legarthic didn't eat for 2 days and got me very worried. Then out of the blue he perked up and was fine and we all figured he was just car sick.

Now I just traveled home for Christmas break 2 days ago, he acted similar but better, eating more and he has passed away and I don't know how.
I went to the store to get him treats and more cuttlebones and when I got back (some how in the last 15 hours from when I last saw him) he had a dark brown bruise looking spot on the top of his shell and a large green spreading zone on his underside. Neither of these were there the previous afternoon, and the tortoise had not moved in position from where he had been the previous day

Could he have fallen? It looks to me like a bruise but he never fell in my sight.
Or could it have been an infection or disease?
It seems like such acute damage and it appeared overnight, while nothing touched him over that night 20181218_163417.jpg 20181218_163435.jpg IMG_20181018_185742_001.jpg

Reactions: orv

Bork4921

MO
It said the requested page could not be found at the link.

The humidity wasn't the highest, but there was a cup or two of water that I poured into the cage every day or two to remoisten the coconut fiber

Bork4921

MO
I read an article on it, and to be honest that could be, humidity has been hard to keep up and there have probably been times it was very low for a day or two.
But would that have caused the overnight bruise looking spot on top and bottom?
I'm worried one of my housemates dropped him, in addition awhile back and the damage is only now showing

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you suspect someone dropped him then that's probably the culprit. Also with the thanksgiving week news/lethargic and then again so quickly with Christmas, it might have been too much for him. Tortoises do everything slowly even heal/recover.
Being in college, you'd be best to not get another tortoise until you have finished your studies and have a perminently house situation. Sulcatas get large fast and an apartment or dorm with no yard is not the place for one.
Very sorry your little one passed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No water, no soaks, kept in a dry open topped enclosure with low humidity, and fed only lettuces?

The biggest clue is that he hadn't grown much at all in 3.5 months. Breeder started him too dry and dehydrated, and then you kept the dryness and dehydration going when you followed that bad advice.

I'm sorry. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. We all have to learn it. Now you have.

If you decide to try again, have the correct enclosure set up ahead of time, and then buy from a breeder that starts them correctly.

daniellenc

Maryland
Very sorry about your guy. Could someone have snuck him out and dropped him or dropped something on him? In some animals liver failure will show as a greenish looking bruise as well though not sure if this is true for torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It actually didn't happen overnight. Because baby tortoises are prey they hide their symptoms so as to not appear weak. The discolorations occurred after death.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think the discoloration your seeing is blood pooling in the body after it's death.