Tortoise and hens: whodunnit?

Jasmine

My huge desert tortoise Kobe lives with my 20 or so hens in a large enclosure in my yard. We were away for the weekend and my friend Bernie was keeping an eye on them all. On Saturday she found a dead hen in the yard, and on Sunday she found another, this time crushed under Kobe. She firmly believes Kobe killed them. I don't...surely hens could run away from a tortoise (!). I think they probably got ill and died (it happens occasionally) or the hawk that lives in the tree above them (and is nesting) had a go at them but they were too big for him to carry away. The hawk has got at baby chicks (we now have a special shelter for those) and an injured dove. Any ideas? (By the way I live in Ghana)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I think it's very unlikely indeed that a tortoise killed your chickens. Chickens may not the most intelligent but they will get out of the way.

I wouldn't keep chickens in with a tort as torts have a taste for poop and eating chicken poop is a good way of your tort picking up gut parasites

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Does @Yvonne G or @Cowboy_Ken recall the story of Sulcatas in the wild being observed killing birds.
For the life of me, I can't recall who posted it. It's been a while.
Maybe it's early onset senility.....
I just Googled and found that Galopagos (spelling)tortoises kill and eat birds. But I have no time for other checking.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think the tort did it either. @ZEROPILOT I remember posts about tortoises eating dead birds, but I don't remember about killing them. Don't think they could unless the bird was already injured and couldn't get away.
Anyway, I agree with JoesMum the tort and chickens should not live together.

Jasmine

I can't bear the idea of Kobe killing hens! Noooo, there must be another explanation! Thanks to you all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does @Yvonne G or @Cowboy_Ken recall the story of Sulcatas in the wild being observed killing birds.
For the life of me, I can't recall who posted it. It's been a while.
Maybe it's early onset senility.....
I just Googled and found that Galopagos (spelling)tortoises kill and eat birds. But I have no time for other checking.

No, that was Aldabran or galops tortoises. They stand on the beach real tall and when a sea gull goes under them for the shade, the quickly pull in their legs squishing the bird then eating it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My huge desert tortoise Kobe lives with my 20 or so hens in a large enclosure in my yard. We were away for the weekend and my friend Bernie was keeping an eye on them all. On Saturday she found a dead hen in the yard, and on Sunday she found another, this time crushed under Kobe. She firmly believes Kobe killed them. I don't...surely hens could run away from a tortoise (!). I think they probably got ill and died (it happens occasionally) or the hawk that lives in the tree above them (and is nesting) had a go at them but they were too big for him to carry away. The hawk has got at baby chicks (we now have a special shelter for those) and an injured dove. Any ideas? (By the way I live in Ghana)

Hi Jasmine, and welcome!! I think, to avoid confusion, you should call your tortoise a sulcata instead of a desert tortoise. When we talk about desert tortoises here on the Forum, we are talking about tortoises native to the Mojave and Sonora deserts.

It's not unreasonable to think your large tortoise killed the chicken.