Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffer21

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
When i went away from college i left my turtle in the care of my mom untill i could sell it. She remembered to feed it most days would would froget. Anyways he looks dead to me head is in his shell and everything, but is there any possibilitly he could be hibernating due to eating less? I just wanna make sure before we burry him. Thanks a ton.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Oh boy, so sorry. I would try and soak him in a very small amount of warm water. How long have you been gone? They can go a pretty long time with no food to die.... What kind is he? Keep your fingers crossed... Good thoughts
na

Puffer21

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
the most he would have gone would be three weeks without new food, but some old lettuce in the tank. I got home about a week ago and have been so busy with christmas and stuff that i have just been throwing food into the tank. today was the day i was going to clean him and everything and he looks dead. Its just if he is hibernating or something i dont wanna burry him, but if he is gone for sure i wanna get him out of the house.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am soooo sorry to hear that, poor little tortoise :( 3 weeks without food, that is a long time. It is really important to take care properly of an animal or reptile when you have one! I am very busy too, but I ALWAYS find time every morning and every night to take care of Hermy, I always want to be sure he is happy and has everything he needs. I think you should bring him to the vet as soon as possible. Is he a Hermann tortoise? If yes, he is a tortoise and not a turtle. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you touch a leg or the head, does it move? Is is stiff?

If you get any movement at all, the tortoise is very sick and close to dying. He will need immediate and intensive care.

If its stiff, he's been dead for a while.

I'm so sorry this has happened to your little Hermann's tortoise.

Puffer21

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was at college and have been trying hard to sell him. My mom was taking care of him, but she did froget every once in a while. I was home 3 weeks ago and feed him. She said she gave him the food every day. When i got back i gave him food, and checked on him. Today i was going to clean his cage and found him dead, i think. I have had many animals and i do take care of them to the best of my ablitly, but there is nothing i can do when im off at college and no one wants him. Yes he is a hermans tortoise

he isnt really stiff, but he wont move.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Why did not you bring him to a rescue or something, if you are not home to take care of your tortoise, why have one? It seems to me that " the best of your ability" is not enough, so if the vet tells you he is not dead, why not giving it to him or to a rescue. If you have questions, you can always come on this forum and ask them, we love to help :). Or maybe you could try to find him a new owner on this forum? Where do you live?

And please, bring him to a vet as soon as possible. Good luck, keep us posted.

Puffer21

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I brought him to the vet, and he is dead. I take care of my animals very well. I went off to college and i have been trying to sell him. Unfortunitly i did not think of this site, but tryed many others. I didnt want to give him to a rescue because i wanted to find him a good home. They told me that he had an infection and that there would really have been anything i could do.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just FYI for next time most rescues do a very good job of finding good homes for turtles and tortoises they take in.

arbuckleton

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear he died. It sounds like, given your situation, you did the best you could. And the vet is probably right... I'm sure there was nothing you could have done to save him.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i went to florida for 5 days, and came back to mu sulcata baby dead... and her food moldy... the caretaker had just been throwing food in with out removing the uneaten food and cleaning the bowls.

it hapens,and with these delicate creatures.. it can happen fast.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Jupiterannette said:
i went to florida for 5 days, and came back to mu sulcata baby dead... and her food moldy... the caretaker had just been throwing food in with out removing the uneaten food and cleaning the bowls.

it hapens,and with these delicate creatures.. it can happen fast.

That reminds me of the time I was stupid enough to think that my roommates were competent enough (they should be at their age!) to not only put new food in, but to also remove the old food! The cage stunk when I came back and old food was just sitting in there (luckily my tort was fine). I never let them take care of my torts again, and that is where Maggie, the tortoise savior came in.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
sorry to read about the little guy.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
arbuckleton said:
I'm so sorry to hear he died. It sounds like, given your situation, you did the best you could. And the vet is probably right... I'm sure there was nothing you could have done to save him.

I'm sure getting adequate care might have helped, maybe food or water. This was a very sad post to begin with I can't believe someone would bring it back. :(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree with you Candy, it was a very sad post!!!!! poor little tortoise :(. I hope he is now a happy tortoise in a dandelions paradise.

This thread is a good message to someone who does not have time to take care properly of a pet though, do not have one! The pet is the one who suffers at the end :(!

Status
Not open for further replies.