speedy is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewireme

5 Year Member
We have a baby 2" long eastern that we keep in my daughters room. He has been doing great. Just a few seconds ago she came running in and said speedy was not moving. I went to Investigate. he is dead. He is right side up. His shell seems soft and there is a slight pink tinge to his shell near his back left leg. I can not see any external signs of injury. If any one has any suggestions as to what the cause might be, any response would be great.
I would like to thank all the posters for all the info, I have received during the last 4 Months we had Him I have learned a lot. My daughter is really in love with him and is taking this hard. I may look to rescue another one but I dont want them to come to the same fate. so any info would be great.

thanks, John

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi John: I'm so sorry about Speedy. I have no idea what happened to him, but I can give you a couple "what if's": Baby box turtles are real susceptible to dehydration and should be kept pretty moist. Soaking every day and moist substrate. Its pretty hard to get them to eat right off the bat and they have to be shown the food over and over. They are very shy, so you show them the food then step out of sight right away. The pinkish coloration MIGHT have been septicemia, but no way of knowing for sure. I'm very sorry you lost Speedy.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
John, sorry to hear of speedy's death. Some hatchlings just do not thrive. Know Speedy had a wonderful life while he was with you and that he will keep watch over your daughter from tort heaven. In the future you may want to concider a juvenile of adult tort over a hatchling as they seem to have a better success rate. Hatchlings are cute but quite fragile. My thoughts are with you and your daughter. Hugs to you all.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm sorry for your loss :(

From your description, I would say that Speedy died of advanced Metabolic Bone Disease.

Danny

Nomad

5 Year Member
I do not know enough to help with what happened, but I know
that we are sorry for your loss.

M

Maggie Cummings

livewireme said:
We have a baby 2" long eastern that we keep in my daughters room. He has been doing great. Just a few seconds ago she came running in and said speedy was not moving. I went to Investigate. he is dead. He is right side up. His shell seems soft and there is a slight pink tinge to his shell near his back left leg. I can not see any external signs of injury. If any one has any suggestions as to what the cause might be, any response would be great.
I would like to thank all the posters for all the info, I have received during the last 4 Months we had Him I have learned a lot. My daughter is really in love with him and is taking this hard. I may look to rescue another one but I dont want them to come to the same fate. so any info would be great.

thanks, John

John, I am very sorry for your loss. Might suggest that you adopt something older that is already established. That would be a better option for your daughter. Babies are very hard to raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.