Darwin's Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Hey guys! I just thought I would snap a couple pics of Darwin's enclosure after I put some plants in it. I had some small Pony tale palms and I read that is was OK to use them. (I will get more and different plants soon) He's really coming out of his shell now and he told me he likes them! lol The tank is only 40 gal but he will get a larger home soon. I made him a larger humid hide box but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. All day he would go in, then turn right back around and come back out. As soon as I put his smaller one back in, he went in and stayed. I put a pitcher of water with an air stone that really helps with the humidity. Going out tomorrow to get more slate type rock so he will have things to crawl over. Please let me know if you don't see anything that should be in there. Thanks!
photo (27).JPGphoto (28).JPGphoto (29).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking really nice. I like it. I am going tomorrow to get some plants to redo my leopards. I think I will look for some of those pony tale palms. Good job:D

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Thanks guys! But I been at it again. Darwin looks at me like Really? I added a larger rock, some Monkey grass and some Mother in law tongue. Now that's it till I get the larger enclosure! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo (31).JPG
    photo (31).JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 83
  • photo (32).JPG
    photo (32).JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 77
  • photo (34).JPG
    photo (34).JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 82
  • photo (35).JPG
    photo (35).JPG
    551.8 KB · Views: 67

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Nice. My toetoises like to climb and smash plants lol. I need to get new ones. They just trash most

abclements

5 Year Member
Where did you get the pony palms? I doubt the have any up here in the pac nw but they definitely look worth looking into

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
TortyTom- You might want to check out a website called The Tortoise Table. According to them, Monkey grass, aka Lily Turf (lots of other names) is high in saponins which are known to be TOXIC to cold blooded animals. They include pictures to help you identify what you have. They advise against feeding it to torts.

My Elsa LOVES to eat her swedish ivy, which is listed as safe. I also have spider plants which are safe, cheap and plentiful and they make lots of "pups."

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Thanks Moozilion, I will give it a look see. I did do a search beforehand and most said safe?? Then I came across a few threads that said they have used it for years??? So far Darwin has paid it no mind but I watch him close and if he starts eating it, I will pull it out!....................... abclements, I have had the pony tale palms for a few years. I have a few more but they are WAY to big for the enclosure. I think they look pretty cool. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Millerlite, I figure he will too, he just hasn't got around to it yet. Haha!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
abclements said:
Where did you get the pony palms? I doubt the have any up here in the pac nw but they definitely look worth looking into

You might check homedepot.

Even Fred Meyers stores carry them. I'm outside Salem OR. where are you in PAC Nw?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It seems like a lot of plant safety sites really only focus on humans, dogs and cats because that's probably 99.9% of the most common plant contacts in the general population. I'm learning that reptile physiology is vastly different from that of warm-blooded animals, and assumptions that "safe for one is safe for all" can be sadly mistaken.

Great habitat btw- he must love it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.