Darkest leopard ?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Another thread has got me wondering if anyone has ever seen or have pictures of an overly black leopard tortoise? I for one would dig the idea of jet black leopards

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I haven't but I'm finding the super dark ones rather gorgeous.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like to think I have a contender for darkest leopard. The pictures don't really do him justice as much as in real life.

Sire_zps150db528.jpg

Most of his offspring start growing dark as well.

Photo1_zpsd60fb62c.jpg

053a_zpse405bd0b.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome, I like the dark ones too. Darkest I've had was a rather large pardalis pardalis male. He's no longer here with us unfortunately wish he was. He was a good breeder. But man Neal, you have some awesome dark ones. Cool.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Awesome, I like the dark ones too. Darkest I've had was a rather large pardalis pardalis male. He's no longer here with us unfortunately wish he was. He was a good breeder. But man Neal, you have some awesome dark ones. Cool.

Did you raise this one Kelly? or do you have any history on how it was raised?

I find it interesting how it started growing almost completely black after growing primarily white. I am wondering if the tortoise transitioned from indoors to outdoors at some point in its life...or transitioned from warm temperatures to cooler temperatures.

I've heard it said a lot that leopards will grow primarily white in warmer temperatures, and dark in cooler temperatures. From my own experiences, I haven't been able to substantiate the claim either way, but I have seen a lot of specimens like the one you posted and it makes me wonder if the drastic change was husbandry related.

navyblu

5 Year Member
Those are GORGEOUS Leopards!! I am usually partial to the lighter ones, but that dark one might have just changed my mind!!
Thanks so much, I usually like lighter as well, but my male has changed my mind. He is almost as dark as my aldabras..haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I find it interesting how it started growing almost completely black after growing primarily white. I am wondering if the tortoise transitioned from indoors to outdoors at some point in its life...or transitioned from warm temperatures to cooler temperatures.

I've heard it said a lot that leopards will grow primarily white in warmer temperatures, and dark in cooler temperatures. From my own experiences, I haven't been able to substantiate the claim either way, but I have seen a lot of specimens like the one you posted and it makes me wonder if the drastic change was husbandry related.

That would be very interesting to find out. Makes sense that cooler temperature areas would bring out a darker color, seeing the darker color attracts sun. If nothing else, it would help to get them outside a little sooner.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

No I didn't. It was here a short period. Originally in an elderly lady possession and her son sold him due to her health. 12 years old that's all I knew of it. Wish I knew more. But I do share the similar quandaries of your views. It seems very hot and humid and rapid growth seems to be very white/blonde. To be honest I don't think it's extremely healthy in the long run.mofmcourse I have no scientific data to back that. Just seen numerous relinquished extreme blond specimens that grew way to fast end up perishing here. Necropsy showed extremely thin keratin layers but evenly dispersed. A smaller more dense spongy layer of ventricle canals appose to wild very thick broaden ventricular canals of keratin in the underneath carapace. Thinner ribs and spinal cords. This of course is entirely not a statement against rapid growth in conjecture with "high blonde". The animals here that ended in unfortunate expiration were of course not reared in sufficient manors, but at some point had some sort of extreme rapid growth due to age, coloration etc.. The wild specimens I've seen from biologists and field data collectors do represent a vast array of physical differences(it's nature of a leopard tortoise after all) but never have I seen a wild specimen depict any resemblance of captive "blonde" or extreme white new growth banding like In captivity. Anyways a little blah on my part,

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
@Neal I did have one hatch out few months ago that's staying quite darks cool one so I kept it. So far no blonde growth. Has double dots too(very faded though) he's the chunkier one.
image.jpg

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Beans was really dark for a long time and then he morphed into a blonde. Now he's morphing again. I have no idea what's in his future lol.