Dandelions

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Finally spring is coming to Michigan and dandelions are everywhere. How nutritious are they? Is it ok to feed them heavily while they are available? I am sure if they came upon a field of them in the wild they would eat as much as possible. Just curious since they are so ubundant behind my house.

Feed them to my russians and sulcata today and they loved them! Even the bearded dragons enjoyed them. Also, my son loves going out and picking them so I get 20-30 minutes of quiet!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They can make up a high percentage of there diet and if they are grazing they will also be eating grass and weeds. I just puchased dandelion seed packets so that we can have more in our yard for my Sulcata to eat...

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As soon as the dandelions come up here I pick them and feed them to my tortoise. Last year our tortoise ate REALLY well on dandelions. Just about every day I had a handful for her.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hey D'Marcus if you get your seeds to grow, let me know what you did. Cany get everything else in the world to grow but those weeds.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
TortieLuver said:
Hey D'Marcus if you get your seeds to grow, let me know what you did. Cany get everything else in the world to grow but those weeds.

No problem, my wife has a green thumb. Except for growing cactus from seeds we just couldn't get them to grow..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Mine Eats Dandelions when i occasionally find them in my yard!
When i Move i Plan On Making A new Huge Outdoor Enclosure, With
Alot Of new Seeds Dandelions, a couples grasses, etc.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks so much D' Marcus! I know sounds silly but I bought 14,000+ seeds from Carolina pet supply and a place locally and have tried everything. I have tried the ground, terracotta pots, plastic containers, I've tried the directions to a t. I've tried varying degrees of burying the seeds, potting soils, topsoils, and nothing. It's silly really as we grow an entire field of grasses, other weeds, flowers, trees, bushes, shrubs, and all are successful. It's rather embarrassing and the nurseries laugh at me when I ask if they have any in containers, as they say it's just a weed. In fact, it's a weed that is so hard to get rid of and will take over (yeah, once it actually grows).

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
dalano73 said:
They can make up a high percentage of there diet and if they are grazing they will also be eating grass and weeds. I just puchased dandelion seed packets so that we can have more in our yard for my Sulcata to eat...

where did you purchase thew dandelion seeds? id love to get some....arent we tort keepers weird? most folks spend tons of cash to rid their yards of them!!! ha ha ha I remember my gramp casing his yard daily and digging them up by hand......and when he say a new one pop up he would cuss under his breath...."dam dandelions" :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
NEtorts said:
dalano73 said:

where did you purchase thew dandelion seeds? id love to get some....arent we tort keepers weird? most folks spend tons of cash to rid their yards of them!!! ha ha ha I remember my gramp casing his yard daily and digging them up by hand......and when he say a new one pop up he would cuss under his breath...."dam dandelions" :D

I found them on Amazon, I have looked locally but no one sells a weed seed for some reason.:D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I only feed them every few days. I think they are high in something that starts with an O Maybe an ox can't remember the name, and I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in soon :)

I only feed them every few days. I think they are high in something that starts with an O Maybe an ox can't remember the name, and I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in soon :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Remember if their urates change color (pinkish), don't worry it's just from eating dandelions. ;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
TortieLuver said:

In the other Dandelion post today, Mary Anne (post #3) said she just scatters the seeds on top of the soil, and does not cover them. Apparently this has worked, they must need light to germinate.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
lynnedit said:
TortieLuver said:

In the other Dandelion post today, Mary Anne (post #3) said she just scatters the seeds on top of the soil, and does not cover them. Apparently this has worked, they must need light to germinate.

I put some seeds out today where they will get full sunlight for most of the day and I just tossed them out and they landed where they landed.

Status
Not open for further replies.