Nutritional value of plantain/clover/dandelions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I have common and English plantain, clover, and dandelions in my backyard. Which are the most nutritious? Are there certain weeds I should feed more than others?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I have all of those plus grass and few other weeds. I jsut grab a bit of each and don't worry too much on proportions and stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed it all. I've always felt lots of variety is best. I don't know if one of those is more "nutritious", but I'm sure they have somewhat different nutrient contents.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Variety rocks. The thing is that we may mention that plant A has more oxalic acid, B has a better calcium/phosphorous ratio, and so on, but that ignores other realities- trace elements, nutrient interactions, and more.

For example, calcium interferes with iron intake. Focus on the calcium, and you could possibly get anemia. Better to just offer at least some of several kinds of things. Even some of the 'bad foods' offer benefits when used in moderation.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Yep, you can use it all. I feed my leopard more plantain than dandelion or clover, due to the oxalic acid in those, but he still gets them regularly.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great, thanks for the responses!
I get a kick out of walking outside and picking Nelson's breakfast :p

Status
Not open for further replies.