Dandelion seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Nothing silly! Just PM me your address and I will mail them tomorrow!!

Don't cover them with soil when you get them. They need light to germinate. Just sprinkle them on top of the soil and give them a little mist and nature will do the rest. When I planted my first batch they never grew. I have tons growing now. :D Mary Anne

Abra, you can have the next batch. Give me a week or so then I will have enough to send to you! :D

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
I just planted some, but covered them with soil. Thanks for the info. Never thought about leaving them on top like mother nature does, but then, I've always tried to remove them not grow them. Ed.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Ok, Rob you are after Abra. :D Give me a few days to collect more! I'll post when I have some more!!

Hmmm new business venture "Dandies for torties" for just $19.95 you can have some too......but wait ...if you call now, I'll send some to your freind......LOL, sorry I couldn't resist!

Sometimes I crack myself up, ok, I am leaving now, before I embarass myself further.....sigh.....

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
BTW, I am still giggling..........

Thanks Isa, my weeds are your weeds! For $19.95 you can have some too.....HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Torty Mom said:
"Dandies for torties" for just $19.95 you can have some too......but wait ...if you call now, I'll send some to your freind......LOL, sorry I couldn't resist!

Sometimes I crack myself up, ok, I am leaving now, before I embarass myself further.....sigh.....

I've always wondered why everything sold on those commercials are always $19.95. And if you order now we'll send you two of them.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Can torts eat normal dandelions that grow as weeds in the summer months? Assuming they haven't been sprayed?

I'm trying to vary Charlie's diet and I want to grow some more plants directly in his tank. He has spring greens growing, which he likes okay, and I had 4 pansies growing in there, but they all died and I need to plant or buy something else to plant. I brought a spring mix and have planted it, but it's slow. Just curious. He likes cactus, mazuri, kale, chard, collards, and spring greens. I haven't tried much else.

Thanks!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
mckenzieg said:
Can torts eat normal dandelions that grow as weeds in the summer months? Assuming they Mandy?

I'm trying to vary Charlie's diet and I want to grow some more plants directly in his tank. He has spring greens growing, which he likes okay, and I had 4 pansies growing in there, but they all died and I need to plant or buy something else to plant. I brought a spring mix and have planted it, but it's slow. Just curious. He likes cactus, mazuri, kale, chard, collards, and spring greens. I haven't tried much else.

Thanks!

Can torts eat normal dandelions that grow as weeds in the summer months? Assuming they haven't been sprayed?

Thanks!

yes like you said as long as they have not been sprayed I would get some seeds an grow them in his tank :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried to get dandelions to grow many times and they just never take. Me and my little girl collect them all the time and bring them home to blow and make a wish. I've tried them on all parts of the lawn, in the weed patches, on bare dirt. They just don't like it here.

I sprinkled a few thousand plantain seeds all over the yard two days ago. We'll see how that goes.

I can grow mallow and filaree all day long. If we get enough rain, the wild grass grows pretty well too. Good thing I have grass eaters.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am beginning to believe that some dandelion seeds need the cold during the winter months before they will germinate,Several people on here(TFO) that don't have them growing wild are in a warmer climate area,In my yard there are several different types, some bloom in spring and some in the fall but not many blooms in the heat of summer.-- It's nice to know that I am not the only person that plants weeds in the yard.--Len

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Len~ I am in So Cal and get several different types all year long. I am not 100% sure but I don't think they are all good. The true dandilions I believe do not have the white milky sap and the leaves are tended not hard and spikey. This was explained to me by a person from the turtle and tortoise society of San Diego. I am learning to see my ugly back yard as a beautiful torty land full of wonderful weeds. I just have to put my totoise goggles on and the world looks different.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
If you happen to have anymore that you would like to get rid of I will happily take them off your hands lol

Kuro

5 Year Member
if you have anymore after everyone else gets their's i'd like some too. Teri loves dandelion..is her favorite. Tor is being picky so i dont know if she would like them

S

stells

Around 20-25 degrees celcius... is ideal for Dandelion germination... in moist soil :p

They can germinate at 10 degrees celcius though... seeming to prefer cooler soil...

Tom... you may have more luck putting them somewhere cool on some damp kitchen paper... to get them past the germination stage...

quote='Len' pid='191694' dateline='1291375692']
I am beginning to believe that some dandelion seeds need the cold during the winter months before they will germinate,Several people on here(TFO) that don't have them growing wild are in a warmer climate area,In my yard there are several different types, some bloom in spring and some in the fall but not many blooms in the heat of summer.-- It's nice to know that I am not the only person that plants weeds in the yard.--Len
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.