Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is Mimi. I think she's a female, but she's real young. The original owner bought her as a hatchling three and a half years ago, thinking she was buying a desert tortoise. Mimi was raised in an aquarium the first two years, then for the winter of the end of the second year she was put into hibernation. The original owner already had two Sonoran desert tortoises that she brought here from Arizona when she moved here and always hibernated them. When she realized Mimi was sick, she took her to the vet and found out that she is a Sulcata and that they don't hibernate. Mimi underwent a round of antibiotics to clear up the respiratory infection from being hibernated, and is fat and sassy and healthy now.

Darn it...I neglected to weigh her and its too darned hot to go out there again right now. Anyway, at appx. 4 years of age, Mimi is quite the big girl...at least 25lbs, maybe more. She has a tiny extra dorsal scute over her hips which causes a slight deformity.

6-16-11rescue25-3.jpg

6-16-11rescue25-2.jpg

6-16-11rescue25-1.jpg

6-16-11rescue25-4.jpg

She's up for adoption if anyone in Central Calif is interested.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wow she is huge. I am so happy you have her now. Are you keeping her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Missy said:
Wow she is huge. I am so happy you have her now. Are you keeping her?

No, I'm looking for a good home for her.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Has Tom had a chance to pass on her?
And she looks like a she, too.:D

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Do your neighbours ever get upset about you running a flop house for torts? :p JK She's a beauty!

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
She's a pretty girl! You mentioned a deformity from the extra scute... Does the extra scute cause problems with her hips or did you mean the scute itself is the deformity?

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Great looking tort.Looks like the lil bugger is going through a growthspurt with the fresh Growth lines showing on the carrapace.I dont see the shape of the plastron as a deformity,i see it as a sign of character. Altogether good looking tortoise.Must be due to the care and effort of the new caregiver.Good job shes a doll.;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I try to keep my "operation" on the down low in the neighborhood. I live in the country, but it is also a neighborhood. The area was subdivided and individual houses put up all along a street. I'm on an acre and the other properties are at least a half acre. So my neighbors aren't real close.

The deformity is probably only cosmetic, but who really knows what goes on underneath.

Last year when she was undergoing the antibiotics she weighed 7lbs. This year she's at least twice that, probably 3 times that. She was kept outside with the two desert tortoises. The woman didn't realize she didn't have to feed them (instead of letting them graze), so she fed them grated carrots, zucchini, brocolli, romaine plus other stuff I've forgotten. Mimi would eat her food, then go eat the desert tortoises' food. It only goes to prove, if you feed them they will grow...and grow...and grow (I was flipping through the channels earlier today and passed by "The Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman" an old movie from the '50's. reminded me of Mimi!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.