Daddykirbs Farm first outdoor enclosure

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N.E. San Antonio
My neighborhood cats used to crash with my tortoises whenever it was cold or raining., No problems with that, but they also pooped in there and my tortoises started eating the feral cat poop. It was then that I put an end to it and eventually walled up and put a roof on my primary pen.
My tort searches out poop in the yard. Is there harm if they find it and eat it? I have 7 dogs, 4 cats and a big herd of ducks and chickens... there's no end to the poop. Hopefully there won't be much inside the enclosure but we try to take him out a couple times a day to graze other pastures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This just encourages parasites. If you can't keep the poop picked up, dedicate a spot for the tortoises that the other animals can't access.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This just encourages parasites. If you can't keep the poop picked up, dedicate a spot for the tortoises that the other animals can't access.
That would harm the poor torts wouldn't it?

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
This is what we are trying to do, but getting to the 100% point won't be immediate.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
Just finished my coop to keep my chickens and ducks from pooping in the yard where frank grazes. Plus it's nice to keep them in one spot
I have about 30 ducks and about 40 chickens. Before getting the torts I liked to free range the birds to give them a greater variety in their diet. If I confine them to a small area they will decimate it. I will find a solution, but it's not going to be overnight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are a very talented farmer/carpenter/looker afterer of animals! With that many birds, it would be much easier to fence IN the tortoises rather than fence OUT the birds.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
You are a very talented farmer/carpenter/looker afterer of animals! With that many birds, it would be much easier to fence IN the tortoises rather than fence OUT the birds.
Yep :) I just have to figure out how to give Jack Jack an appropriate amount of space. It will get done... and thanks for the encouragement!

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
y4UAkZn.jpg

8gQ3k1h.jpg

5vMnlqq.jpg

I have a few more images in this album:
http://imgur.com/a/hN07Z

There has been a bit of work done in the enclosure to make Jack Jack happy. We have sowed some grass / clover mix and potted up some flowers that he can eat. The top rail of the wall was added to make the wall more rigid.

More has been done and more coming soon...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's coming along nicely. Lots of space! I love the expression on the tortoise's face in some of the photos on imgur.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
y4UAkZn.jpg

8gQ3k1h.jpg

5vMnlqq.jpg

I have a few more images in this album:
http://imgur.com/a/hN07Z

There has been a bit of work done in the enclosure to make Jack Jack happy. We have sowed some grass / clover mix and potted up some flowers that he can eat. The top rail of the wall was added to make the wall more rigid.

More has been done and more coming soon...
Looking good!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is what we are trying to do, but getting to the 100% point won't be immediate.

One thing I should mention here is if your dogs are treated with heart worm medication, this is fatal to a tortoise. So if your tortoise eats heartworm medicated poop, it will die.