Another Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan496

5 Year Member
We got Charlie about 12 years ago when he was less than 3 inches long. His first home was in a box in my daughter's room, then in a covered, 8 foot square outdoor pen and now a larger uncovered enclosure. The circumference of the new enclosure is about 175 feet.

First a trenching machine was used to cut the ground for the fence posts. To discourage digging out, plastic "Deer Fencing" mesh was set part in the trench and inward from the posts 24 inches, about 2-3 inches under the ground.

The posts are 3 inches diameter, 3.5 feet long and set into the ground about 18 inches deep, so roughly 2 foot tall above the ground.

The house has hinges so both sides of the roof can tilt up for access inside.

This is in Florida, some supplemental heat is required at night for about 3 months of the year. There are two ceramic heat emitters controlled by a thermostat.

Attachments

• Tortoise Pen 3.jpg
    Tortoise Pen 3.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Tortoise Pen 7.jpg
    Tortoise Pen 7.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Tortise Pen 5.jpg
    Tortise Pen 5.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Tortoise Pen 4.jpg
    Tortoise Pen 4.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Tortoise Pen 2.jpg
    Tortoise Pen 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 194

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome! that's an awesome setup you have for Charlie.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
AWSOME!
what is the time and cost for such an endever? WalkingRock is 11 and Im looking toward his next Enclosure....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man that's cool. Love it.

I wanna see more of your thermostat too. I noticed, and liked, the digital display.

Hello and welcome.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome! In addition to the simple genius involved...I really love that the door appears as if Charlie ripped through it! AWESOME!

dan496

5 Year Member
Starting with clearing the underbrush, this project took weekends and all my spare time after work for about a month. Having a farm and a tractor and some materials already on hand helped. The most expensive were the posts. They are regular 3" (actually 3-4") farm fence posts cut in half. I got bids from multiple lumber yards for cutting and delivering the posts. The best deal I could find was about $2 each. A cheaper option would be to place the posts 6-8' apart and use boards. I did it this way mostly for looks and for increased strength.

There are lots of thermostats that you can use to control heat emitters or pads. I like the ones with a remote temperature sensor on a cable so you can have the sensor inside but the controller outside. Some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F97K9O/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
You should put up a "Beware of DOG" sign. That would be so funny!
Yes, I meant dog, because when people second look it and see its not a dog... LOL!

nice enclosure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Great enclosure...in fact, I'm a little put out that you were able to do something like that without us. :D

dan496

5 Year Member
Great enclosure...in fact, I'm a little put out that you were able to do something like that without us.

Oh, you all helped, I've been lurking. I just didn't have anything to add until now.

Thanks to all for the information on this forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My first thought was, "Wow! That's neat!". Then I started noticing all the sand and thought, "ya Florida". :D Like so many others I love the uneven wood over the doorway.

babylove6635

5 Year Member
very impressive, im glad you said where you are it looked beautiful. you really done a great job. so instead of a peeking tom your a lurking dan lol.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
dan496 said:
First a trenching machine was used to cut the ground for the fence posts. To discourage digging out, plastic "Deer Fencing" mesh was set part in the trench and inward from the posts 24 inches, about 2-3 inches under the ground.

I'm also considering different ideas for when I move my sulcata outdoors. I'd like to see some close-ups and maybe a more elaborate explanation of this whenever you get a opportunity. (I have no clue what deer fencing is and how it was used in your situation).

dan496

5 Year Member
I'm also considering different ideas for when I move my sulcata outdoors. I'd like to see some close-ups and maybe a more elaborate explanation of this whenever you get a opportunity. (I have no clue what deer fencing is and how it was used in your situation).

I don't have pictures of how I buried this inside the perimeter of the fence but here is a link to a similar product: http://www.invisible-deer-fence.com/invisible-deer-fences/deer_fence_rolls.htm
I got mine at Lowe's.

On Charlie's previous, smaller enclosure I buried metal wire mesh under the surface. That stuff is painful to work with, I just refused to use it again. This plastic mesh is much easier on your arms and seems very strong.

dan496

5 Year Member
How did you fasten the posts together? Just nail them? Or are they fastened together at all?

Nope; just dug a trench, stuck the poles in the ground, filled in the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.