Cuttlefish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
ok so I gave my tortoises a cuttlefish each on Saturday (they are in separate tables) and they both seem to quite like it...
However one has gone properly nuts about it, has eaten about half of it (and its only Thursday) and did have a bit of visible beak before nut none now...
the question is, can she get too much of a good thing, and should I be limiting how often she gets its, or do I just leave her to it?

I know opposite problem than I usually see regarding tortoises and cuttlefish, but what can I say they are odd, they even eat grass!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally would take it out from time to time and I would also make certain you have a well hydrated tort if the consumption is so rapid.....the beak being worn down is a good thing...:D

Have you tried adding a couple over sized rounded river rocks in the enclosures to allow your tort to maintain their beak short and snug without large amounts of the calcium being consumed rapidly?

Also, many times if a tort is introduced a new passion (lol) they will lose their mind for a bit then the newness wears off....
:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is quite hard to OD on calcium, I would leave it in there personally, but if you take it it won't cause any problems, really depends on how you feel about it.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
ascott said:
I personally would take it out from time to time and I would also make certain you have a well hydrated tort if the consumption is so rapid.....the beak being worn down is a good thing...:D

Have you tried adding a couple over sized rounded river rocks in the enclosures to allow your tort to maintain their beak short and snug without large amounts of the calcium being consumed rapidly?

Also, many times if a tort is introduced a new passion (lol) they will lose their mind for a bit then the newness wears off....
:D

yes I know its good to wear down the beak, and yes they have rocks and are fed on slate to help keep their beaks and nails worn down...

I may leave it there and see how it goes...was just worried she would wear it down too much (I am SO paranoid!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.