how much Cuttlefish is too much?

LeanneW

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford
Hi Everyone!

just a quick question, I have seen on here that giving your tort cuttle-bone is a good way for them to get their calcium and to keep their beaks nice and trim.

I have been using calcium and D3 supplements up until now for Pebble who is two this September ( is she still a yearling?)

Today her first dried cuttlefish bone arrived and since she took notice of it half an hour ago she has not stopped eating it!

Is she okay to just eat as much as she likes or will it do her harm?

I have taken it away from her at the moment just to be safe

Thank you!

here is a picture of Pebble for good measure!
hop you all are having lovely evenings

Leanne

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_154005.jpg
    IMG_20200404_154005.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 24

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Usually tortoises know when to stop eating the bone, mine sometimes don’t touch it for weeks, and then one day eat all of it in a single sitting. I’m pretty sure that tortoises know when to stop, my torts‘ behavior doesn’t change when they consume the whole cuttlebone. I’m not 100% sure though.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I was under the impression that because calcium is water soluble, excess will just pass through the kidneys without causing any problems.

LeanneW

Oxford
Usually tortoises know when to stop eating the bone, mine sometimes don’t touch it for weeks, and then one day eat all of it in a single sitting. I’m pretty sure that tortoises know when to stop, my torts‘ behavior doesn’t change when they consume the whole cuttlebone. I’m not 100% sure though.

Thank you! this is comforting to know :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was going to say the same