Cuttlebone 'training'?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My adult RT 'Nank is one of those that you can put a cuttlebone in and it'll just get ignored and buried. I did witness him take a bite once, I think he mistook it as a green since it was on his plate and he looked appalled that is wasn't what he expected. Is there a wy to "train" him to know to munch on it? He's from petco so he wasn't captive from hatching to witness/learn to use it. Its time for a new one since this ones been buried and plopped in his water many times, should I bother getting him another? is there a good way to secure it from becoming part of franklins "waterbowl soup"
Or would it be good to try the zoomed banquet block that has good stuff and calcium as an attempt to lure him into seeing it as food?
I do supplement with calcium with D 3(ish) times a week, but I like having the option for him, I just wish he'd realize said option is edible!
Any tips guys? I've run out of ideas short of getting 2 and sitting with one in front of him while munching on the other... which would do nothing but make me feel crazy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you do,the last thing you said, I want to see a vid of it:p:D I would give him one and let it be. If he feels he needs more calcium, he will chew on it. If he seems to dirty it up a,lot, break it in half and give him half or even a 1/4 piece of one. Personally, I would cut down on the D3, too much can be as bad as too little. If he is getting a good varied diet, he may not need an addition of either.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If you do,the last thing you said, I want to see a vid of it:p:D I would give him one and let it be. If he feels he needs more calcium, he will chew on it. If he seems to dirty it up a,lot, break it in half and give him half or even a 1/4 piece of one. Personally, I would cut down on the D3, too much can be as bad as too little. If he is getting a good varied diet, he may not need an addition of either.
how much should I cut back? In the winter I try to stick to the 3(ish) times a week due to grocery greens not giving me the variety I want, but in the summer I definitely stick less to that and it usually turns to once a week or so. I know D3 can be appetite suppressant, he's never had problem but when it runs out would without d3 be best? I'll try breaking up the new one... and maybe a banquet block as well to see if that smells interesting, ultimately I'd like to be able to rely just on cuttle bones/banquet blocks so he can regulate when he needs it and not be forced to eat it when I give it to him.

And if it comes to it maybe I do it lol... I mean if he can eat it it cant be horrible for me so maybe if i'm loud enough he'll watch and maybe somehow in his tortoisey brain figure out what i'm trying to teach him.. hey if not we all get a laugh and i'll officially be the crazy tortoise keeper... I mean it cant be all that different from tums... just not minty fresh :p And don't put me past it, I will be able to say I did try everything if he still doesn't care!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some people do actually give tums and the other one too.:D I give it about once a month when I remember it. I don't believe with a good diet and natural sunlight at least part of the week, they really need it.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Some people do actually give tums and the other one too.:D I give it about once a month when I remember it. I don't believe with a good diet and natural sunlight at least part of the week, they really need it.
I can imagine if he doesn't like the cuttlebone he wouldn't appreciate tums... wouldn't the mint be not good?? seems weird to use.
I think i'll order a banquet block and see what happens then if nothing does go back to pieces of cuttlebone. I'll go for less suppliemt now though, at least in the summer, since new England winters are not Tort friendly and he doesn't hibernate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do believe they use unflavored if there is any or the fruit flavored. I don't think the mint ones are used

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i've noticed my tort seems to prefer cuttlebone that has weathered and aged a lil

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My tort won't eat cuttlebone, so I hold it over her dampened greens and scrape it with a knife which causes a very fine shower of cuttlebone dust to fall in her food. That way, anything she eats has some cuttlebone dust on it!:p