Calcium & soaks

Jerry's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
MA
This is probably a silly question, buy I'll ask it anyway. My tortoise knows when I put calcium powder on his food, even the tiniest amount and try to hide it, he won't eat it and he doesn't touch his cuttlebone. So that got me thinking, could I add calcium powder to his soak water? Would that be a way to get calcium in him?

drew54

Indiana
This is probably a silly question, buy I'll ask it anyway. My tortoise knows when I put calcium powder on his food, even the tiniest amount and try to hide it, he won't eat it and he doesn't touch his cuttlebone. So that got me thinking, could I add calcium powder to his soak water? Would that be a way to get calcium in him?

Yes, you can. This is no different than a soak in general or a baby food soak. I add vitasol to my hatchling soak every once in a while. However, with a varied diet then you won't need to really give him calcium. I do calcium with d3 every once in a while also, but I don't think it's necessary with her varied diet. With calcium we have to be careful and not to give them too much. I hope this helps.

drew54

Indiana
He has one, but he just walks around and over it. I even tried breaking up pieces of it and putting it by his food, but nope he never touches it, not even a nibble.
They will nibble on it when they need to. And he may be nibbling on it when you're not watching.

Violanna

Texas
Well I don’t about tortoise calcium intake, but with birds they naturally know when they need it. That’s why you leave a cuttlebone for them. Sometimes they won’t touch it for weeks, other times they will chow down. As long as diet is where it should be I think instinct would take care of the rest

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cut of a very tiny piece of cucumber and chop it up into even tinier pieces. Add a small pinch of calcium powder to the cucumber and mash it all up with a fork. Then put the cucumber/calcium mush in with the food and stir it all up. It would help if you chop up the food into tiny pieces instead of leaving it whole leaves. That way everything gets mixed up together and he can't pick out what he likes.

Jerry's Mom

MA
Cut of a very tiny piece of cucumber and chop it up into even tinier pieces. Add a small pinch of calcium powder to the cucumber and mash it all up with a fork. Then put the cucumber/calcium mush in with the food and stir it all up. It would help if you chop up the food into tiny pieces instead of leaving it whole leaves. That way everything gets mixed up together and he can't pick out what he likes.
I will try the cucumber. I tried adding a small amount to mazuri but I swear he knew it was in there because it was left untouched. It's like he eats around everything that has calcium in it, like he can smell it and wants nothing to do with it. I will trick him somehow :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I will try the cucumber. I tried adding a small amount to mazuri but I swear he knew it was in there because it was left untouched. It's like he eats around everything that has calcium in it, like he can smell it and wants nothing to do with it. I will trick him somehow :)
I did something similar with Oli, who refused to eat anything but lettuce. @Lyn W suggested something: "Mix the lettuce with the mazuri. Torts are easy to trick" she added.Thanks, @Lyn W . Apparently she was right. I did it and it worked, thank God. But it did take time....torts are very stubborn:D.