Curious Behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I don't know if this is old news or normal behavior, but I noticed something very interesting recently.
I was putting some plants in my new enclosure and when I was tamping down the soil my torts came running.
Now every time I tap my knuckles on the substrate they come to check me out.
Even when they are passed out in their hide. Tap tap tap. For 30 seconds and little heads come poking out. Saying What's Up.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Lol mine does that too! Also if I tap on the side of his indoor inclosure. I quit on the inside one cause when she comes out she seems to have attitude like she didn't like it.lol mine has attitude anyways though. She acts different outside though she acts like she's wondering what I put in there for her.;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My adults do that too. Whether I'm digging a hole with a shovel to plant something, or digging out a gopher hole with the hand shovel to place a trap, or digging up a new nest, if any of them are anywhere within sight of me they come running and then will not get out of the way.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Joe does it too. If I can't find him, banging on the side of the watering can or the garden table will often bring him out. It's not as reliable as starting the lawnmower which ALWAYS brings him out :D

I wonder if they associate the sound with torts butting each other and come out to investigate?

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I found it very interesting.
I would have thought the sound of the earth trembling would frighten them off not attract them.
I will probably try to reinforce it by making sure I have goodies when they come to me.
Could come in handy someday down the road when they are too big to pick up and move easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.