Separated scute??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well when I was carrying in the big guy.. I noticed that one of the scutes (the one dust above his head) on his shell was lifted in the back.. I can actually see in the gap.. I tap on were it lifted with my finger nail it sounds hollow but just were it's lifted the rest of the scute is firmly attached and sound solid..

Do sulcatas shed scutes?? Is an issue??

Thanks in advance

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Could you post a pic? Could it have injured itself when climbing or digging? It's most important to keep the area clean and keep flies away. Neosporin will work.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
its only in that one area..Looking at it with flash light it almost looks like there is another scute under it..

here are the pics

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Well tortoises don't shed their scutes. It could just be a crack in the top layer of the shell. Again, I'd advice to apply some anti-bacterial ointment, like neosporin to ward off infection and try to keep flies from bothering the area. It should heal up on its own

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Neosporin it is then... But I swear it looks like there is another scute under it..I don't believe it's trauma. As it's at the seam were it meats the back scute..almost looks like it's buckling up and the scute looks really thin almost 1/16th" were it's lifted..

Anyone else have any thoughts on this??

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
It almost looks like it's delaminated on that edge...

Shell rot.. Would neosporin help??

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have seen this on a few of my young ones, it seems to happen when they are going through a growth spurt. I don't know the cause. But each time it has smoothed out and looks fine as they continue to grow.
I would suggest more misting.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have seen it on 8 year old s but only after they have been fighting, and their shells have taken a couple of hits. Don't worry as long as it is not moist, soft, bloody, or oozy. It will take care of its self. If you wanted a perfect shell than you can give him to me and start over.

The white next to the growth line is what it looks like after it flakes off.
P1040849.jpg

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Thanks Motero...But what Tony has looks like its separated right at the growth line...I put some neosporin on it.. Not sure it wil help.. But an ounce of prevention..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.