Cuddles or Aggression?

Do these pictures demonstrate signs of aggression?

• Yes

• No

• Possibly. Keep an eye on them, but don't separate them yet.

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
Hi there, fellow tortoise lovers!

I seem to have hit a bump in my ongoing road (proudly named Russian Tortoise St). I have had a 3-year old male Russian tortoise named Harold since January 26 of this year (roughly 11 months) and a female Russian tortoise named Hazel since September 19 (barely 2 months).

I understand that tortoises are solitary animals. Sometimes they are compatible with others, but for the most part, they are not. I am prepared to separate them if necessary.

The two tortoises seem to "enjoy" each other's company. By this, I mean that they sleep near each other and eat near each other, but they also spend a healthy amount of time apart. I have not witnessed any notable signs of aggression. However, I do notice that the tortoises will sometimes rest their head on the other tortoise's shell. Both of them do it to each other, so it is not specifically the male or the female.
Harold and Hazel 2.jpg Harold and Hazel 4.jpg

Is this aggression or neutral (or healthy) socialization? Thank you very much, everyone!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's actually competition for the best spot, not cuddling to share space.

In a pair there is always 1 dominant and 1 submissive. It's just the way it is.
You'll do your torts a big favor by letting them each rule their own castles. The sooner the better.

slowtone

kent, uk
My two males are together, they have their disagreements but on the whole they seem happy.
But after reading posts about two males together Im thinking of parting them.
Maybe its me but feel they might be lonely if I do that.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My two males are together, they have their disagreements but on the whole they seem happy.
But after reading posts about two males together Im thinking of parting them.
Maybe its me but feel they might be lonely if I do that.
They don't want to share food or an area, which can be one of many reasons for aggression. As long as they are provided with the proper area, they're happy.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
No need to vote, Aggression for sure. will only get worse.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Thank you everyone. I will monitor they behavior closely until I can make some habitat arrangements to separate the two.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is so easy for us to put human emotions onto our tortoises. But they don't 'feel' as we do...especially Russian tortoises. They are strictly solitary and really...I mean REALLY...don't like to have other tortoises in their space.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
100% agree! (most) Tortoises in the wild are solitary animlas that spend their days grazing, not cuddling. When two tort might meet, usually a fight ensues to protect territory, mate, and probably both.
They'll be fine apart, and as they grow, it would just get worse, so right now the best is to separate :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Also, not to be a stickler, but that sand should get removed too. It can cause impactions, and later on, some serious health issues! :(

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Also, not to be a stickler, but that sand should get removed too. It can cause impactions, and later on, some serious health issues! :(

Thank you for your response! I appreciate any feedback or tips; I never take offense to assistance! I will be heading out to the store shortly to purchase some new substrate (I'll probably go to a gardening store). I have a Lowe's near me with exceptional gardening soil and plants (aloe and such included). Where do you buy your substrate from? What kind do you use? Is the coconut fiber okay? The tortoises seem to like that area the most. Thank you, Yellow Turtle01!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I use coco coir :D Best ever! I get it from the Home Depot, it's a bargain, 3 blocks for 9 dollars... and th ey expand to fill my whole table with a nice 5'' of dirt :) Harwarde and garden stores have all sorts o great dirt in bulk, like organic potting/topsoil, coir, and bark substrates like orchid bark, so great place to go! :D
Careful with some succulents, the insides can be toxic :(!
Your welcome! We're all here to help you and your torts!

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
I use coco coir :D Best ever! I get it from the Home Depot, it's a bargain, 3 blocks for 9 dollars... and th ey expand to fill my whole table with a nice 5'' of dirt :) Harwarde and garden stores have all sorts o great dirt in bulk, like organic potting/topsoil, coir, and bark substrates like orchid bark, so great place to go! :D
Careful with some succulents, the insides can be toxic :(!
Your welcome! We're all here to help you and your torts!

Thank you so much! I've heard many great things about the blocks expanding to very surprising amounts. It's irritating to walk into PetSmart and get one tiny bag of coconut fiber for $28.00. I'll definitely look into that and replace the grounded walnut sand. Should I put in two different types of substrate, or will my tortoises be satisfied with the one type?

Also, can you recommend any easy-to-access edible (real) plants found in any garden or hardware stores? The only one I have found so far is aloe. My tortoises absolutely love it and it allows for them to consume a variety balanced meals.

I'm sorry for all of the questions; I really appreciate all of the advice! Thank you!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't mix, but many people like to mix, and there could be some benefits, I guess, but my russian is happy with coir alone! You can mix all kinds of dirt, as long as it's safe!
Petunia's are yummy, begonia get big and full but are edible, OMG, I just realized how many edible plants I could list... :p
This'll sum it up for you :D http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/plants-for-the-tortoise-enclosure.11055/
Good link for good safe plants! Garden stores have so any options for edible and even healthy lowers and greenery!

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Thank you, Yellow Turtle01! I promise to stop bugging you now!!! :) I appreciate all of the help you have offered my tortoises and me. We look forward to seeing more of your posts on the forums! Cheers!