CRAZY tortoise, obsessed with fabric

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I have a 2 and a half year old tortoise. He's a male Hermann. He is obsessed with fabric. If he sees any across the floor he runs as fast as he can to it. He bites it and then mates with it. He will literally spend an hour trying to get in the laundry basket and biting at the fabric through the holes.

He is like something possessed. Is this Normal? I feel like he's so bored that he's gone crazy. He also chases feet and bites flesh.

I'm scared he's not happy. Here is a picture of him from summer when he was in the garden. He now lives in a tortoise table as its fall. But he gets out every evening for a run about the house. He is currently trying to climb up a blanket.

Attachments

• 20160619_133723.jpg
    20160619_133723.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I think it is pretty normal for torts to chase feet and nibble at them. They don't realize it isn't food, and they use their mouths to test things.
It isn't a good idea to let your tort run wild in your house. It is probably very cold on the floor, and there are so many dangers!
I don't really think torts can get bored. They do need exercise but running around the house isn't the right way.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you're probably going to hear this a lot so please don't take offense, but you should not let your tortoise run around the house it's a bad idea overall there are many stories here of it ending very very badly

Elizabeth Patti

Phoenix, AZ. 85013
my tortoise doesnt go crazy about fabric, now that i have brought her in, i put her down in the livingroom and she always goes to one of the cat towers and will remain there until i physically pick her up to take her outside or just move her so she can eat. Last winter she stayed in the same spot (inside my home) and barely ate or anything, it was like she was hibernating. she has an awesome personality, I remember one summer day i was taking a video of her and she noticed right away my pink toenails... ive never seen a tortoise move so fast, she thought they were watermelon or some good food. i had to get out of her enclosure so she wouldnt try to bite...i will upload the video when i run across it..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...now that i have brought her in, i put her down in the livingroom and she always goes to one of the cat towers and will remain there until i physically pick her up to take her outside or just move her so she can eat. Last winter she stayed in the same spot (inside my home) and barely ate or anything, it was like she was hibernating...

Not intend to hurt feelings, but this is not good. They do not behave this way when housed correctly with the correct temperatures. Loose on the floor in house is not a suitable way to house your tropical species. Many get sick and die this way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 2 and a half year old tortoise. He's a male Hermann. He is obsessed with fabric. If he sees any across the floor he runs as fast as he can to it. He bites it and then mates with it. He will literally spend an hour trying to get in the laundry basket and biting at the fabric through the holes.

He is like something possessed. Is this Normal? I feel like he's so bored that he's gone crazy. He also chases feet and bites flesh.

I'm scared he's not happy. Here is a picture of him from summer when he was in the garden. He now lives in a tortoise table as its fall. But he gets out every evening for a run about the house. He is currently trying to climb up a blanket.

No, this is not normal, but tortoise sometimes exhibit odd behavior when given the opportunity.

As has been said, your tortoise should not be lose on the floor. Its just a question of time until in ends in disaster. We aren't saying this to cause you grief and start an argument, we are saying it because it is heartbreaking for everyone when we see a tortoise come to harm, and we don't want to see it happen again with your tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe will do this with empty garbage bags or tarps if we have them out in the garden. When the testosterone is raging, he'll attack or mate with anything going.

I agree with Tom though. Your tort should not be roaming your home.

If he's out of his enclosure then he's away from the heat, UVB and humidity he needs to be healthy.

You only have to be distracted for a second and he could be stepped on (there was one on TFO a couple of weeks ago :( ) or escape.

On the floor there are all sorts inedible things that could be eaten by your tort. They're not that clever and bright colours equate to tasty in their minds. Also dust bunnies and hair may be accidentally ingested and cause blockages in the digestive system.

Please listen to the many voices of experience and make sure your tort's enclosure is big enough for it to be healthy and happy.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

I'd get rid of that fiber.

And I wouldn't allow my tort to roam around my flat.

(A cute tort, by the way).