Crazy things my Tortoise does...

Hoka's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Ann Arbor
I've had my Russian for about 12 years. He doesn't dig like that in his indoor enclosure anymore but...if he can scoot his hide closer to one of the walls he will flip sideways and climb out. Therefore I put it in the center of a wall of his enclosure. It may take some time for your darling to give up the wall digging tactics and figure out a new escape route. I just try to spend some time watching my little guy to see what's going on in that beady little brain of his. Hopefully, I'll keep one step ahead of him.
OMGosh! Very clever indeed. I read several articles that talked about torts not being very smart...but I also see some recent research to indicate that they are smarter than we thought AND maybe smarter in different ways than we thought. Certainly seems like these little Russians would blow their minds.

Hoka's Mom

Ann Arbor

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
OMGosh! Very clever indeed. I read several articles that talked about torts not being very smart...but I also see some recent research to indicate that they are smarter than we thought AND maybe smarter in different ways than we thought. Certainly seems like these little Russians would blow their minds.
Like children they just try to figure out a way to do what they wanna do when they wanna do it...and they're good at it. They just can't see the consequences.

Miniman8

Wantage UK
Anybody seen their tortoise do what lightning does when he is on his tortoise table, he will walk around his table with his tail pointing straight down & dragging in the substrate, he leaves a line in the substrate, it looks like a third back leg, it looks so odd, then he will tuck it back up under his shell & carry on walking, his tail is about 1 1/2 inches long.
I know this is a bit of topic but can anyone explain why the males have such a large tail ? Is it used during mating as it seems to spend most of its time tucked up either to the left or right under the shell, sorry if I’m being really stupid.

Tom

Hoka's Mom

Ann Arbor
Anybody seen their tortoise do what lightning does when he is on his tortoise table, he will walk around his table with his tail pointing straight down & dragging in the substrate, he leaves a line in the substrate, it looks like a third back leg, it looks so odd, then he will tuck it back up under his shell & carry on walking, his tail is about 1 1/2 inches long.
I know this is a bit of topic but can anyone explain why the males have such a large tail ? Is it used during mating as it seems to spend most of its time tucked up either to the left or right under the shell, sorry if I’m being really stupid.

Tom
I have never seen Hoka drag his tail so I would like to hear if others do this.
and Yes, The tail is for mating. Helps reach around their rather awkward shells.

Shuler24

Michigan
I have never seen Hoka drag his tail so I would like to hear if others do this.
and Yes, The tail is for mating. Helps reach around their rather awkward shells.
I’ve never seen Sheldon drag his tail, but I have seen him use it to balance himself sometimes when he is trying to climb up a wall. (I feel like I’m getting into pun area of the post but I will refrain)